DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Insualtion around window air conditioners? (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/103451-insualtion-around-window-air-conditioners.html)

[email protected] April 18th 05 05:58 PM

Insualtion around window air conditioners?

I moved to an old house last summer. It has no central a/c, so we've
used window air conditioners. Yesterday we put up one of the units. The
cheaply made thingys on the sides that supposedly slide out and fill
the gap between the unit and the side of the window are almost useless.

Can anyboy suggested an easy way to fill this spot and maybe provide a
little insulation too?

Thanks,
Susan

Dan C April 18th 05 06:44 PM

On Mon, 18 Apr 2005 09:58:21 -0700, sus5n.1ynn wrote:

Can anyboy suggested an easy way to fill this spot and maybe provide a
little insulation too?

5/8" Plywood.

Linux Registered User #327951

Edwin Pawlowski April 18th 05 09:03 PM

wrote in message I The
cheaply made thingys on the sides that supposedly slide out and fill
the gap between the unit and the side of the window are almost useless.

Can anyboy suggested an easy way to fill this spot and maybe provide a
little insulation too?

The sides are not structural so you can use most any material. An inch of
Styrofoam will work. A piece of hardboard or plywood will also.

PhotoMan April 18th 05 09:59 PM

"Dan C" wrote in message

5/8" Plywood.

I prefer 19/32"

[email protected] April 19th 05 08:56 PM

used to use window units, used cardboard and ducttape to seal em up
every year. easy to put up, easy to take down.. lucas