JD

Default Pergola beam question

I want to build a pergola over my 12x22' deck. I would like to have a clear
span beam of 22 ft across one side. The other side would fasten against
the house.These would support the cross pieces of 1x6x12' that would give
shade and structural stability. I was thinking of using 2x6x12' running end
to end and spliced with a 2x6x4. On the other side of the splice I'd have
additional 2x6x12'. A top view would look something like this.
_________________________
- -------------------------------
_________________________ __________________________
It would be fastened together with carriage bolts in a decorative way.
Does the group think this would work? Do you have other ideas?
Thanks
JD

RicodJour

-

-------------------------------
_________________________ __________________________
It would be fastened together with carriage bolts in a decorative

way.
Does the group think this would work? Do you have other ideas?
Thanks
JD

Define work. Would it keep from collapsing - probably. Would it sag?
Absolutely. I'd rethink that clear span. You shouldn't think of a
couple of posts as "blocking the view" or something silly like that.
They're architectural elements and help frame views and define the
space. They can be treated decoratively in any of a number of ways.
They'd _add_ to the pergola, not detract.

m Ransley

It wont be strong enough, it will sag, You need a permit and it probably
won`t pass. double or tripple the 2x12 and use a mid support.