DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Two Questions about Window A/C Units (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/103270-two-questions-about-window-c-units.html)

Julie P. April 13th 05 01:26 PM

Two Questions about Window A/C Units

1) Do window A/C units, when set on the fan only setting, blow fresh air in
from the outside, like a regular box window fan, or recirculate air from the
inside?

2) Same question, but with the A/C turned on. Does the air come from the
outside or inside?

Because I have my window A/C set to fan only, and even though it was
freezing outside, it was blowing warm air!

Thanks!

Dan C April 13th 05 01:33 PM

On Wed, 13 Apr 2005 07:26:22 -0400, Julie P. wrote:

1) Do window A/C units, when set on the fan only setting, blow fresh air in
from the outside, like a regular box window fan, or recirculate air from the
inside?

Should be from the outside. Some units have a selector switch for
fresh/recirculate.

2) Same question, but with the A/C turned on. Does the air come from the
outside or inside?

Same answer.

Linux Registered User #327951

Julie P. April 13th 05 01:36 PM

"Dan C" wrote in message
On Wed, 13 Apr 2005 07:26:22 -0400, Julie P. wrote:

1) Do window A/C units, when set on the fan only setting, blow fresh air
in
from the outside, like a regular box window fan, or recirculate air from
the
inside?

Should be from the outside. Some units have a selector switch for
fresh/recirculate.

2) Same question, but with the A/C turned on. Does the air come from the
outside or inside?

Same answer.

Thanks Dan! But then why is the filter right along the front (inside the
house) grill of the air conditioner? And why is dust forming on this same
grill? It seems that the AC unit is sucking in air from the inside via the
grill then filter?

J.

Julie P. April 13th 05 01:38 PM

"Julie P." wrote in message

"Dan C" wrote in message
On Wed, 13 Apr 2005 07:26:22 -0400, Julie P. wrote:

1) Do window A/C units, when set on the fan only setting, blow fresh air
in
from the outside, like a regular box window fan, or recirculate air from
the
inside?

Should be from the outside. Some units have a selector switch for
fresh/recirculate.

2) Same question, but with the A/C turned on. Does the air come from the
outside or inside?

Same answer.

Thanks Dan! But then why is the filter right along the front (inside the
house) grill of the air conditioner? And why is dust forming on this same
grill? It seems that the AC unit is sucking in air from the inside via the
grill then filter?

IOW, the filter rests parallel to the inside face of the A/C unit where the
controls are. It would seem the air would have to be coming from the inside.

Steve B. April 13th 05 02:36 PM

1) Do window A/C units, when set on the fan only setting, blow fresh air
in from the outside, like a regular box window fan, or recirculate air from
the inside?

The air comes from the inside. It is pulled through the filter then
the evaporator and blown out the vents above. Some units have a
selector you can turn that will open a small door to let fresh air in
to the stream or to blow stale air out but this would only be a
fraction of the air.

2) Same question, but with the A/C turned on. Does the air come from the
outside or inside?

It works the same way. Doesn't matter if the compressor is running or
stoped.

Steve B.

Steve B. April 13th 05 02:39 PM

Thanks Dan! But then why is the filter right along the front (inside the
house) grill of the air conditioner? And why is dust forming on this same
grill? It seems that the AC unit is sucking in air from the inside via the
grill then filter?

IOW, the filter rests parallel to the inside face of the A/C unit where the
controls are. It would seem the air would have to be coming from the inside.

Yes you are correct that the air is coming from inside. If there is a
fresh air selector on the a/c it opens a little door in the air path
so fresh air from outside is drawn in to the air stream (about 10%)

Steve B.

Chip C April 13th 05 03:20 PM

Steve B. wrote:
1) Do window A/C units, when set on the fan only setting, blow

fresh air
in from the outside, like a regular box window fan, or recirculate

air from
the inside?

The air comes from the inside. It is pulled through the filter then
the evaporator and blown out the vents above. Some units have a
selector you can turn that will open a small door to let fresh air in
to the stream or to blow stale air out but this would only be a
fraction of the air.

2) Same question, but with the A/C turned on. Does the air come

from the
outside or inside?

It works the same way. Doesn't matter if the compressor is running

or
stoped.

Steve B.

I think few new units have fresh-air intakes, in the name of
efficiency, assuming outside air is hotter than inside air so would
take more energy to cool. A bit of a shame since often the A/C is
blocking the only window that you could open for a breeze on a nice
day.

Chip C

Edwin Pawlowski April 13th 05 04:02 PM

"Julie P." wrote in message
1) Do window A/C units, when set on the fan only setting, blow fresh air
in from the outside, like a regular box window fan, or recirculate air
from the inside?

Inside air. Even the ones with a vent onlybring in a tiny amount of fresh
air. I was told by one of the engineers at a major AC maker we suppliied
that "it is a selling point".

2) Same question, but with the A/C turned on. Does the air come from the
outside or inside?

Same answer

Because I have my window A/C set to fan only, and even though it was
freezing outside, it was blowing warm air!

Yes, that is a problem with window AC if you have only one window in the
room. Aside from taking it out, no easy way to get fresh air inside.

[email protected] April 13th 05 04:51 PM

"Julie P." wrote in message
1) Do window A/C units, when set on the fan only setting, blow fresh air

in
from the outside, like a regular box window fan, or recirculate air from

the
inside?

Most units only recirculate indoor air.
Some units have a small flap that is controlled that allows a very small
percentage of outdoor air to be pulled in, but its almost worthless.

2) Same question, but with the A/C turned on. Does the air come from the
outside or inside?

See the above answer.

Because I have my window A/C set to fan only, and even though it was
freezing outside, it was blowing warm air!

Then guess what? Yours was recirculating indoor air.

Thanks!

Beachcomber April 13th 05 07:37 PM

See the above answer.

Because I have my window A/C set to fan only, and even though it was
freezing outside, it was blowing warm air!

Then guess what? Yours was recirculating indoor air.

Thanks!

Basic Principal of Economics Here

All air-conditioners are designed to re-circulate the indoor air. In
addition to cooling the air, the second, but equally as important job
of an air conditioner is to de-humidify the inside air. If they just
sucked in 100% outside air, the cost to cool and de-humidify that
volume of air would be incredible.

The little fresh air vent that has been described on most A/Cs is just
that... A way to provide a little bit of fresh air from the outside
without excessive expense.

Lack of fresh air is why some people feel sick in an air-conditioned
space. Your breathing the same CO2 and other byproducts of human
respiration over-and-over. If not enough humidity is taken out of the
air, you will feel cold and clammy.

Beachcomber

Julie P. April 13th 05 07:59 PM

"Steve B." wrote in message
1) Do window A/C units, when set on the fan only setting, blow fresh air
in from the outside, like a regular box window fan, or recirculate air
from
the inside?

The air comes from the inside. It is pulled through the filter then
the evaporator and blown out the vents above. Some units have a
selector you can turn that will open a small door to let fresh air in
to the stream or to blow stale air out but this would only be a
fraction of the air.

2) Same question, but with the A/C turned on. Does the air come from the
outside or inside?

It works the same way. Doesn't matter if the compressor is running or
stoped.

Thanks Steve and to everyone else who answered! This explains why I am
getting warm air then with the fan-only setting. I had to run the A/C even
when it was cold outside, since the heat inside always runs inside the
house, making the temperature 76-77 degrees F. inside at all times! The
thermostat was fine, but something was wrong with the furnace so it almost
never stopped running, even though the thermostat was set at 58 degrees F.!
But my landlord finally called a furnace tech after a few weeks, at my
insistence, so hopefully this won't go on too long!

Julie P. April 13th 05 08:01 PM

"Chip C" wrote in message
oups.com...
Steve B. wrote:
[...]

I know! When it is not hot enough to run the AC, but you still would like
fresh cool air blown inside, a window A/C unit is basically useless! And I'm
not going to uninstall it and replace it with a box window fan everytime I
just want fan only!

Julie P. April 13th 05 08:03 PM

"Mark" wrote in message
On Wed, 13 Apr 2005 06:33:38 -0500, Dan C
wrote:

On Wed, 13 Apr 2005 07:26:22 -0400, Julie P. wrote:

1) Do window A/C units, when set on the fan only setting, blow fresh air
in
from the outside, like a regular box window fan, or recirculate air from
the
inside?

Should be from the outside. Some units have a selector switch for
fresh/recirculate.

2) Same question, but with the A/C turned on. Does the air come from the
outside or inside?

Same answer.

Any window unit made in the last 20+ years will have an adjustable flap
that allows some outside air to be mixed in to the room air passing over
the cooling fins. You can adjust it so that it is taking mostly outside
air all the way to no outside air.

Strange, I can't find this on any of my four air conditioners (3 Daewoo, and
1 Whirlpool). And all were bought new in the past 1-3 years!

For efficiency purposes related to cooling, you would want to close out
the
outside air so you are just cooling inside air over and over.

Except when you are running the fan only setting and it is cooler outside
than inside!

Lawrence Wasserman April 13th 05 09:41 PM

In article ,
Julie P. wrote:

"Dan C" wrote in message
.. .
On Wed, 13 Apr 2005 07:26:22 -0400, Julie P. wrote:

1) Do window A/C units, when set on the fan only setting, blow fresh air
in
from the outside, like a regular box window fan, or recirculate air from
the
inside?

Should be from the outside. Some units have a selector switch for
fresh/recirculate.

2) Same question, but with the A/C turned on. Does the air come from the
outside or inside?

Same answer.

Thanks Dan! But then why is the filter right along the front (inside the
house) grill of the air conditioner? And why is dust forming on this same
grill? It seems that the AC unit is sucking in air from the inside via the
grill then filter?

J.

Dan is incorrect here, a window AC recirculates the same air from the
room back into the room. Some window AC units have a vent that can
be opened to mix some outside air with the room air, but it usually
is a pretty small volume compared to the recirculated air.

--

Larry Wasserman Baltimore, Maryland

Scott McDaniel April 13th 05 11:03 PM

"Dan C" wrote in message
On Wed, 13 Apr 2005 07:26:22 -0400, Julie P. wrote:

1) Do window A/C units, when set on the fan only setting, blow fresh air
in
from the outside, like a regular box window fan, or recirculate air from
the
inside?

Should be from the outside. Some units have a selector switch for
fresh/recirculate.

No, the "default" is to recirculate. If the unit doesn't have a "fresh"
switch/lever, then the unit will ONLY recirculate ...

2) Same question, but with the A/C turned on. Does the air come from the
outside or inside?

Same answer.

See above ... and it would make little sense to set the lever to "fresh" if
you were attempting to cool the air ... it's kinda hard, in the middle of
summer, for your window unit to cool 95 degree air ...

Linux Registered User #327951

Scott McDaniel April 13th 05 11:08 PM

"Beachcomber" wrote in message

See the above answer.

[...]

This is much more of an issue in commerical buildings than anywhere else
(due to the much larger numbers of ocucpants). The average home has, what, 4
people in a 2000 sf enclosure ... unless the home is exceedinly tight,
infiltration and the occasional comings and goings will provide ample fresh
air. And, in this particular case, since the poster is talking about window
units, I'm making the assumption that the home isn't terribly tight ...

Beachcomber

mike60510 April 13th 05 11:23 PM

This is a new high for this newsgroup. No one flammed her or told her
to go to alt.home.repair.

[email protected] April 14th 05 12:02 AM

"mike60510" wrote in message
oups.com...
This is a new high for this newsgroup. No one flammed her or told her
to go to alt.home.repair.

GEE..thats cause its CROSS POSTED to alt.home.repair.
Im done with alt.hvac. Not due to the regulars, but due to the trolls that
invaded..you would not be one of them would you?

m Ransley April 14th 05 01:52 AM

But some regulars are the trolls at alt hvac.

PrecisionMachinisT April 14th 05 02:24 AM

" wrote in
message ...

Im done with alt.hvac. Not due to the regulars, but due to the trolls that
invaded..you would not be one of them would you?

Steve,

Mostly been just the "Kevin and Bill show" there for the past couple
days--hopefully, those nice men with the white coats won't let Matt back out
till his new meds kick in.

IOW, probly fairly safe to go back now...

Cheers,

--

SVL

Stormin Mormon April 14th 05 02:56 AM

Some window units have an air exchanger. Which opens a little (typically two
inches by two inches) trapdoor between the indoor air flow and the outdoor
air flow.

There is usually a dial or switch to open the air exchanger. Without such a
control, it's indoor air and outdoor air. And neer the twain shall meet.

--

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Stormin Mormon April 14th 05 03:04 AM

I've serviced a couple dozen (or more?) window AC. And none of them took all
the air from outdoors to blow indoors. Some have a small trapdoor.

--

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

PrecisionMachinisT April 14th 05 03:10 AM

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in message

And neer the twain shall meet.

Unwess one of em happens to get onta da wong twack...

--

SVL