DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Two way gate lock? (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/103011-two-way-gate-lock.html)

julvr April 11th 05 01:20 AM

Two way gate lock?

I need to replace a gate that goes into my back yard. I have a pool,
so the gate needs to be tall. One thing that we discovered with the
old gate was that it's a pain to unlock the gate from the front, as
the padlock sits on the back. I was wondering if anyone has heard of
any locking mechanism that would allow me to unlock the gate easily
from either side of the fence (even if it has to be built in). I'd
like to avoid keys if possible.

Thanks,

John

Joseph Meehan April 11th 05 01:27 AM

julvr wrote:
I need to replace a gate that goes into my back yard. I have a pool,
so the gate needs to be tall. One thing that we discovered with the
old gate was that it's a pain to unlock the gate from the front, as
the padlock sits on the back. I was wondering if anyone has heard of
any locking mechanism that would allow me to unlock the gate easily
from either side of the fence (even if it has to be built in). I'd
like to avoid keys if possible.

Thanks,

John

How about a combination type lock, like a pad lock that hangs down so
you can pull it towards the inside or outside?

http://www.homedepot.com/prel80/HDUS...j.0& MID=9876

I am not sure I would trust it for a pool however. You know kids would
pass around the combination and in a week every 5 year old in the
neighborhood would know it. Keys, at least you can track.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia's Muire duit

Milwaukee Tom April 11th 05 06:50 PM

I have seen latches that do exactly what you want. They latch from
either side, so the gate can swing either way. They also lock. How
about doing a Google search on "gate latch" or gate hardware? I'll bet
you get some good ideas. Another option would be to visit the showroom
of a good fence company.
Tom

SimonY July 17th 06 08:31 PM

John,

I am new to this board but found it from a long and exhausting search for a two-way gate latch. Please let me know if you were able to locate anything. All I can find is horse gate latches which won't work for me. I need something that will latch either way you swing the gate. I have a standard wooden gate between concrete (cinder block) walls. Please feel free to email me

Thanks

Simon

Quote:

Originally Posted by julvr

Scott Townsend July 18th 06 01:43 AM

Two way gate lock?

There is plenty for Cyclone Fencing. Maybe bolt a Pole to the edge of the
gate and use one of those? We have one for our Pool that works well.

Scott-