Ron

Default Roof Mounted PW Vents Worth The Electricity?

I have a pw vent mounted to my house that doesn't/didn't work. (came
with the house in 84) Just recently I bought a new one and got REALLY
lucky, I only had to replace the motor the housings were the same. Three
blots!

They say to set the thermostat at 105 degrees, I have mine set at 110
and the fan kicks on at about 12:30 pm everyday and shuts off at about 6
pm everyday.

As we know it's not even summer yet and this thing is already running
5-6 hrs a day.(most days, some days it doesn't even turn on) BUT, I live
in Fl and have a feeling that the closer we get to summer, the more this
thing is going to run.

I've looked at the electric meter outside and it's not really using a
lot of pw. Looks to be about the same as a ceiling fan (about 85 watts?)

I have a thermometer in the attic to monitor this thing and it does keep
my attic at 105 degrees, (on one side of the house anyway, they
recommend using 2 of them with a 2000 sq attic - 6/12 pitch roof.

Well needless to say I'm not going to put in another one. (i don't
think, LOL!)

My attic is well insulated so whether it is 150 degrees up there or 105
degrees up there, is it really going to make the INSIDE of my house any
cooler?

I mean the way I look at it, if you have enough insulation in your attic
the heat isn't going to penetrate all the way down to your ceiling
anyway, so whats the point of using these pw vents?

Is it just a waste of pw?

BTW, I have 3 regular 24" long 6" tall vents in my roof also. No ridge
vent or gable vents.

Joseph Meehan

Ron wrote:
[...]

It will make some difference to your comfort in your home, but more
important it will also make a difference in the life of your roof and
structure.

I mean the way I look at it, if you have enough insulation in your
attic the heat isn't going to penetrate all the way down to your
ceiling anyway, so whats the point of using these pw vents?

Is it just a waste of pw?

BTW, I have 3 regular 24" long 6" tall vents in my roof also. No ridge
vent or gable vents.

You need two sets of vents. One set low like soffit vents and one high
like ridge or high gable vents. Hear rises and if it can go out the top and
be replaced with cooler (less hot) air coming in the soffits, you should not
need any power venting.

Depending on where you live good venting also prevents ice dams and
related damage, a power vent will not help there as it will not be on.

I suggest you have someone local evaluate your current venting system
and make sure it is designed properly and functional (like soffits not
blocked by insulation.)

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia's Muire duit

m Ransley

It could increase cooling costs by removing cooled air from below up
through your attic. It depends on how well your house is made. Usualy
alot of static venting is all you need. Every house and location are
different so it isnt that simple. Be sure you have the proper static
venting first then see if the power vent helps in your situation

"My attic is well insulated so whether it is 150 degrees up there or
105
degrees up there, is it really going to make the INSIDE of my house any

cooler?
I mean the way I look at it, if you have enough insulation in your
attic
the heat isn't going to penetrate all the way down to your ceiling
anyway, so whats the point of using these pw vents? "

If it were perfectly insulated, that would be true, but normal
insulation is far from perfect. That's why the temp on the other side
of the insulation makes a difference and one of the reasons why
heating/cooling systems run more the bigger the temp difference.
Proper attic ventilation will help reduce the temp diff and result in
less cooling demand on your system. I think one of the bigger
differenced is with proper venting, once the sun goes down, the heat
gets removed from the attic quickly instead of staying trapped there
for many hours.

As Joseph pointed out there are other reasons for proper venting, ie
moisture, roof life, etc. IMO, for most applications, the most
effective system is adequate soffit vents and a ridge vent. With a
fan, you have to be especially careful that there are adequate intake
vents for the fan capacity. Otherwise it can suck cool air out of the
living space through recessed lights, cracks, outlets, etc.

Ron

Trader & Joe,
The house has plenty of soffits running the entire length of the house
front and back. And, they are open, I've checked them. As a matter of
fact when the fan turns on there are a couple of places outside of the
house where I can hear the air being sucked thru the soffits.

Like I said, the pw vent came with the house in 84 (a couple of other
houses in the neighborhood have the same set-up) so "hopefully" the
builders knew what they were doing.

BTW, were underpaid Mexicans building houses in he mid 80's? : )

Just a JOKE ppl don't get offended.

stretch

Ron,

Advanced Energy, a building science organization group in NC has a page
on attic exhaust fans. Go to

http://www.advancedenergy.org/buildi...ntilation.html

You should find it interesting.

Stretch