Ikon

Default Preventing laminate chipping

Places where the laminate is about to chip off can be easily predicted
with a close inspection - you can see a bit uneven edge of a seam, with
tiny pieces of coating peeling off. If you slide your foot in a sock
over the seam, the sock will catch a piece of coating, and a tiny chip
may break lose (that's the chipping I mentioned in another post).

I was wondering if rubbing something like sealant into the seem may
make it smoother, and perevent further problems.

Duane Bozarth

Ikon wrote:

Places where the laminate is about to chip off can be easily predicted
with a close inspection - you can see a bit uneven edge of a seam, with
tiny pieces of coating peeling off. If you slide your foot in a sock
over the seam, the sock will catch a piece of coating, and a tiny chip
may break lose (that's the chipping I mentioned in another post).

I was wondering if rubbing something like sealant into the seem may
make it smoother, and perevent further problems.

Sounds like a pretty poor quality-controlled product. If there are
protruding areas on the corners, as thin as they would have to be and as
brittle, there's no way you'll keep them from getting knocked off
eventually.

Your best chance to minimize the effect might be to take a 4-in-hand and
smooth the edges of each piece prior to laying it.
George E. Cawthon

Ikon wrote:
Places where the laminate is about to chip off can be easily predicted
with a close inspection - you can see a bit uneven edge of a seam, with
tiny pieces of coating peeling off. If you slide your foot in a sock
over the seam, the sock will catch a piece of coating, and a tiny chip
may break lose (that's the chipping I mentioned in another post).

I was wondering if rubbing something like sealant into the seem may
make it smoother, and perevent further problems.

I had 3 or 4 of those (two boards) when I put my
floor down, and it was definitely caused by me
(not quite getting the tapping block in the right
place). If he didn't use a tapping block then it
was caused by the installer not getting the board
correctly aligned when snapping them together. I
don't think there is anything you can do to
prevent those places from chipping. Possibly by
putting some of the repair color on as it is
suppose to dry hard.
Ikon

If he didn't use a tapping block then it
was caused by the installer not getting the board
correctly aligned when snapping them together.

That's probably the case. I may try to convince him to redo the work,
but he claims that the boards are aligned Ok - though one can feel the
seams, he says that the difference is very small. I am wondering how to
determine if the boards misaligned out of spec ?