Mikepier

Default Need replacement A/C remote

I went to the local appliance store yesterday shopping for an A/C unit.
They had a Friedrich 13,000 BTU 220V floor model that they wanted to
give me for $300( New one goes for almost twice that). Only thing is
there is no remote, but it originally came with one. Is there any way I
can program a universal remote for an A/C, or do I have to get a
replacement remote from Friedrich?

Scott McDaniel

I seriously doubt your all-in-one remote would work on your window unit. I'm
sure you can find an 800 number on the unit somewhere ... call it and order
a replacement remote, couldn't cost too much.

"Mikepier" wrote in message
oups.com...
I went to the local appliance store yesterday shopping for an A/C unit.
They had a Friedrich 13,000 BTU 220V floor model that they wanted to
give me for $300( New one goes for almost twice that). Only thing is
there is no remote, but it originally came with one. Is there any way I
can program a universal remote for an A/C, or do I have to get a
replacement remote from Friedrich?

Gina and Les Armstrong

"Mikepier" wrote in message
oups.com...
I went to the local appliance store yesterday shopping for an A/C unit.
They had a Friedrich 13,000 BTU 220V floor model that they wanted to
give me for $300( New one goes for almost twice that). Only thing is
there is no remote, but it originally came with one. Is there any way I
can program a universal remote for an A/C, or do I have to get a
replacement remote from Friedrich?

http://tinyurl.com/42na8

Dealer/part search

Les

m Ransley

Call Friedrich for the program code #

Mikepier

If I am lucky enough to get the code from them, then will it work in a
universal remote?

"Mikepier" wrote in message
oups.com...
I went to the local appliance store yesterday shopping for an A/C unit.
They had a Friedrich 13,000 BTU 220V floor model that they wanted to
give me for $300( New one goes for almost twice that). Only thing is
there is no remote, but it originally came with one. Is there any way I
can program a universal remote for an A/C, or do I have to get a
replacement remote from Friedrich?

It would be interesting to to know the model number of the unit..
Is it a Quietmaster Programmable?
http://www.friedrich.com/current/mod...14L10&line=QMP
That is the closest to what you have described, and no, a universal all in
one type remote wont work with them.

You can contact an authorized dealer, give him the model and serial number,
and they can normally order you a remote.

MTLnews

I have a programmable unit, and honestly, I don't even know what I did with
my remote. All the features are accessible on the front panel, and I usually
just set it and forget it anyhow. It's nice to have if you are sitting on
the couch, and tooo lazy to put the bear down to get up and turn it off when
it gets too cold, but it doesn't really chnge the functionality of the unit
Unless the remote is only $25 to $35 to get, I wouldn't even bother.
I'd save the extra $300.

Especially since the remote is probably IR, you'd need a line of site to the
unit anyhow which means you won't be that far away from it

"Mikepier" wrote in message
oups.com...
I went to the local appliance store yesterday shopping for an A/C unit.
They had a Friedrich 13,000 BTU 220V floor model that they wanted to
give me for $300( New one goes for almost twice that). Only thing is
there is no remote, but it originally came with one. Is there any way I
can program a universal remote for an A/C, or do I have to get a
replacement remote from Friedrich?

Ed

"Mikepier" wrote in message
oups.com...
I went to the local appliance store yesterday shopping for an A/C unit.
They had a Friedrich 13,000 BTU 220V floor model that they wanted to
give me for $300( New one goes for almost twice that). Only thing is
there is no remote, but it originally came with one. Is there any way I
can program a universal remote for an A/C, or do I have to get a
replacement remote from Friedrich?

How about a Fedder's 12,000 BTU 115 votl w/remote for $238.
Not a floor model.
http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...uct_id=2067707

m Ransley

An Infrared remote just outputs a sequence of signals, a multi remote
could learn those signals if it knew the code, if they were in its
memory, thinking more about it, they probably are not in the memory of
the program of the multi unit but could learn it from a second original
remote.

R.F. Transmitters for lighting, apliance from Leutron, X 10, Smart
Home , Radioshack, Smart House and others using that protical are
compatible with GM , Ford , Genie, Kenmore, etc, etc etc. In other words
your Caddy or GM or Ford with 3 button built in door opener can control
X 10, Radioshack, Leutron and other lights from the 3 button handheld or
built in 3 button door openers in your car. I turn on inside house
lights from a Caddy , programing was easy. But the car, garage door
opener, lighting manufacturers won`t tell you this, they want you to buy
their higher priced system by having you think theirs is exclusive. 3
button remotes have 2 extra buttons, you could have your car turn on a
coffee maker and electric blanket if you wished.

Marilyn & Bob

"Mikepier" wrote in message
ups.com...
If I am lucky enough to get the code from them, then will it work in a
universal remote?

Probably not a cheap one unless it designed to handle an A/C. If your
appliance store has a display model of your A/C with a remote, you could buy
a universal learning remote and program the commands from the remote in the
store.
--
Peace,
BobJ

"I R Baboon" wrote in message
just out of curiousity....why would one need a remote to a a/c?

temperature
surfing?

MAny units, like Mitsubishi ductless, Friedrich ductless, etc, use them as
the thermostat, and to use the more advanced controls.
however, the window units use them as nothing but a feature...

Mikepier

Ok, thanks for everyone's responses. I have good news. I called
Friedrich and they said if I buy the floor model and if I give them the
serial #, they will send me a remote for FREE! Is this a great country
or what?

Mikepier

How about a Fedder's 12,000 BTU 115 votl w/remote for $238.
Not a floor model.
http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...uct_id=2067707

This is the one I bought:

http://www.friedrich.com/current/mod...3B30A&line=WMC

It normally goes for $650 at PC Richards appliance store in NY.
It will go inside the existing sleeve in the wall.