Home Repair (alt.home.repair) For all homeowners and DIYers with many experienced tradesmen. Solve your toughest home fix-it problems.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1   Report Post  
Tony Hwang
 
Posts: n/a
Default Power screw driver

Hi,
My hobby is building lots of electronic kits and repairing neighbor's
TV, Stereo, anything
electronic for fun. BTW, I am retired EE.
I need a small handheld power screw driver kit with some commonly used bits.
One will last long and give good service.
What would you recommend? Budget is flexible.
TIA,
Tony
  #2   Report Post  
m Ransley
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Top brands are Milwauke,Makita, Bosch,Porter Cable, Dewalt,Panasonic.
Mid line Sears, Ryobi, B&D , For small work a small screw driver is
nice one that is the size of a 2 d cell flashlight. Several have
removeable rechargeable packs so you can always have power B&D is one.
New tools are comming out every day you should go to a box store and go
online to check to see what each manufacturer offers. My old ones are
on -off trigger and have torque setting so you wont strip metal a
variable speed might be better. Try them at the store or you will never
know.

  #3   Report Post  
RicodJour
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Tony Hwang wrote:
Hi,
My hobby is building lots of electronic kits and repairing neighbor's


TV, Stereo, anything
electronic for fun. BTW, I am retired EE.
I need a small handheld power screw driver kit with some commonly

used bits.
One will last long and give good service.
What would you recommend? Budget is flexible.


epinions.com is pretty useful, but the cordless screwdrivers aren't as
popular as the driver/drill so there won't be as many reviews to help
guide you.

http://tinyurl.com/6gmt6

Posting on an electronics newsgroup might help.

R

  #4   Report Post  
Al Bundy
 
Posts: n/a
Default


Tony Hwang wrote:
Hi,
My hobby is building lots of electronic kits and repairing neighbor's


TV, Stereo, anything
electronic for fun. BTW, I am retired EE.
I need a small handheld power screw driver kit with some commonly

used bits.
One will last long and give good service.
What would you recommend? Budget is flexible.
TIA,
Tony


I've made my own for years because I didn't like what was available.
Now they have better products for you. I suggest you find something
with an angled handle, more like a gun shape. That feels more
comfortable and allows getting into smaller spaces.

  #5   Report Post  
cm
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Tony,

I use the Dewalt cordless screw driver. It seams to have the highest voltage
7.2 volts which helps with the torque. The batteries have a long running
time also. The Dewalt is $99.00 at most home centers. I would also consider
a Metabo or Milwaukee.

AZCRAIG

www.arizonavintagetrailers.com
Refresh - Repair - Restore


"Tony Hwang" wrote in message
news:ln25e.919676$8l.677738@pd7tw1no...
Hi,
My hobby is building lots of electronic kits and repairing neighbor's TV,
Stereo, anything
electronic for fun. BTW, I am retired EE.
I need a small handheld power screw driver kit with some commonly used
bits.
One will last long and give good service.
What would you recommend? Budget is flexible.
TIA,
Tony





  #6   Report Post  
William W. Plummer
 
Posts: n/a
Default

m Ransley wrote:

Top brands are Milwauke,Makita, Bosch,Porter Cable, Dewalt,Panasonic.
Mid line Sears, Ryobi, B&D , For small work a small screw driver is
nice one that is the size of a 2 d cell flashlight. Several have
removeable rechargeable packs so you can always have power B&D is one.
New tools are comming out every day you should go to a box store and go
online to check to see what each manufacturer offers. My old ones are
on -off trigger and have torque setting so you wont strip metal a
variable speed might be better. Try them at the store or you will never
know.

I like the variable speed advice above. I find it very hard to start
screws with a standard electric screwdriver.
  #7   Report Post  
m Ransley
 
Posts: n/a
Default

I think Milwaukee can bend to any angle, you need a light torque setting
to not strip thin metal, I had an old P.C. where you could use
differenrt spring strengths to get the torque you wanted. Get a smart -
peak charger not the type that never shuts off and kills batteries.

  #8   Report Post  
Travis Jordan
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Tony Hwang wrote:
I need a small handheld power screw driver kit with some commonly
used bits. One will last long and give good service.


For electronic assembly consider this one:
http://www.assemblytec.com/


  #9   Report Post  
Al Bundy
 
Posts: n/a
Default


Travis Jordan wrote:
Tony Hwang wrote:
I need a small handheld power screw driver kit with some commonly
used bits. One will last long and give good service.


For electronic assembly consider this one:
http://www.assemblytec.com/


He he he. My little home made job is 6" overall plus the perpendicular
handle. It has enough power to drive 300 X 2.5" deck screws and then I
just change the battery, but by then it's the end of the day anyway. If
they ever do make one like what I have they will charge plenty.

  #10   Report Post  
Tony Hwang
 
Posts: n/a
Default

m Ransley wrote:

Top brands are Milwauke,Makita, Bosch,Porter Cable, Dewalt,Panasonic.
Mid line Sears, Ryobi, B&D , For small work a small screw driver is
nice one that is the size of a 2 d cell flashlight. Several have
removeable rechargeable packs so you can always have power B&D is one.
New tools are comming out every day you should go to a box store and go
online to check to see what each manufacturer offers. My old ones are
on -off trigger and have torque setting so you wont strip metal a
variable speed might be better. Try them at the store or you will never
know.



Hi,
Thanks everyone, ended up buying small Bosch drill/driver. This one
ought to do it and some more.
Tony
Reply
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules

Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Power surges Cheryl Home Repair 54 June 25th 04 08:50 PM
Power surges 1/ 2 barry martin Home Repair 0 June 5th 04 10:48 AM
Power cost of idle electric water heater Phil Sherrod Home Repair 57 April 2nd 04 10:51 PM
Computer power supply compatiility My father's son Electronics Repair 15 January 16th 04 11:13 PM
Generator Experience [email protected] Home Ownership 10 October 12th 03 01:28 AM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 06:44 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2023, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004-2023 DIYbanter.
The comments are property of their posters.
 

About Us

"It's about DIY & home improvement"