DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Brand bathroom faucet stem (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/101881-brand-bathroom-faucet-stem.html)

Herbbrau April 5th 05 09:48 PM

Brand bathroom faucet stem

My house is over 25 years old. I bought it about 3 years ago. The
handle in the bathroom is stripped and it slips when it turns. I looked
all over it but cannot tell what it is. How can I find out? If I can't,
can I replace the whole thing myself or is ir a job for a plumber?

Edwin Pawlowski April 5th 05 10:21 PM

"Herbbrau" wrote in message
oups.com...
My house is over 25 years old. I bought it about 3 years ago. The
handle in the bathroom is stripped and it slips when it turns. I looked
all over it but cannot tell what it is. How can I find out? If I can't,
can I replace the whole thing myself or is ir a job for a plumber?

Single handle? If it is a Delta (very popular) you will see the same style
in most any hardware store, Home Depot, etc. You can buy a replacement. It
may only be the set screw that holds the handle, or it can be the stem that
it is attached to. Rebuild kits are available for that also.

If it is a dual handle system, you can buy replacements for that also. To
take the old one off you usually pop a cover off the top, loosen the screw
and just pull the knob off

I don't know your skills, but in general, faucet replacement is fairly
simple. The hard part is getting the old one out as you are working under
the sink and it can be difficult to get the nut that holds it in place. A
special wrench is made for that.

G Henslee April 5th 05 10:30 PM

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

I don't know your skills, but in general, faucet replacement is fairly
simple. The hard part is getting the old one out as you are working under
the sink and it can be difficult to get the nut that holds it in place. A
special wrench is made for that.

It can be a lot harder - if you don't turn off the water supply.

Colbyt April 5th 05 11:17 PM

"Herbbrau" wrote in message
oups.com...
My house is over 25 years old. I bought it about 3 years ago. The
handle in the bathroom is stripped and it slips when it turns. I looked
all over it but cannot tell what it is. How can I find out? If I can't,
can I replace the whole thing myself or is ir a job for a plumber?

A real plumbing supply store can match your old part. Some better stocked
hardware stores can also. At Lowes or Home Depot it is a potluck depending
on who helps you. The big store don't stock as wide of a selection.

Read the other posts and ask more questions if you have them.

Colbyt