DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Can You Paint Electric Baseboards? (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/101456-can-you-paint-electric-baseboards.html)

[email protected] April 2nd 05 12:41 PM

Can You Paint Electric Baseboards?

Mom's "powder room" has a rusty small baseboard, and I'm in the process
of fixing this room. (The toilet is literally wandering in a circular
motion!!!) Anyway, do I have to replace the baseboard, or is it safe
to use paint to get rid of the unsightly rust?

Mikepier April 2nd 05 01:30 PM

You can paint it.

Kathy April 2nd 05 03:36 PM

wrote in message
oups.com...
: Mom's "powder room" has a rusty small baseboard, and I'm in the
process
: of fixing this room. (The toilet is literally wandering in a
circular
: motion!!!) Anyway, do I have to replace the baseboard, or is it
safe
: to use paint to get rid of the unsightly rust?
:

try Rustoleum type of paint

toller April 2nd 05 03:53 PM

"Mikepier" wrote in message
oups.com...
You can paint it.

As long as you clean the rust off first!

William W. Plummer April 2nd 05 06:18 PM

toller wrote:

"Mikepier" wrote in message
oups.com...

You can paint it.

As long as you clean the rust off first!

It might be easier to paint replacements. Rust removal is time
consuming and difficult. It just comes back in a year or two anyway.

toller April 2nd 05 08:44 PM

"William W. Plummer" wrote in message
toller wrote:

"Mikepier" wrote in message
oups.com...

You can paint it.

As long as you clean the rust off first!

It might be easier to paint replacements. Rust removal is time consuming
and difficult. It just comes back in a year or two anyway.

I spent a few hours with a wire brush cleaning the rust off a boat hoist
three years ago, before repainting it. I didn't expect much, since it sits
in a lake all year long, but it is still rust free. (the part actually in
the water was aluminum, this is the gear housing.)

Replace or clean is question of whether you would rather spend the money or
the time. In my case I saved a lot of money.

RicodJour April 2nd 05 09:02 PM

wrote:
Mom's "powder room" has a rusty small baseboard, and I'm in the

process
of fixing this room. (The toilet is literally wandering in a

circular
motion!!!) Anyway, do I have to replace the baseboard, or is it safe
to use paint to get rid of the unsightly rust?

You'll want to sand smooth the rusty areas, and then use a
rust-inhibiting primer (or rust converting paint) and then topcoat with
whatever finish paint you want to use.

nospambob April 2nd 05 09:12 PM

Auto stores carry a variety of rust conversion products that seem to
work, at least the one I bought.

On Sat, 02 Apr 2005 12:18:05 -0500, "William W. Plummer"