DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Hot water heater question (https://www.diybanter.com/home-ownership/95990-hot-water-heater-question.html)

Todd March 21st 05 05:54 PM

Hot water heater question

Hi all,
I found a pin hole leak on a piece of galv. pipe that goes from my hot
water heater to the expansion tank mounted above the heater.

It looks like it would be easy to replace the pipe. My question is
whether there are any gotcha's I need to know.

Can I just turn off the cold water feed, drain a couple gallons from
the tank (so the water level is below the pipe), slowly unscrew the
expansion tank (to release any pressure), then remove and replace the
pipe?

TIA

Speedy Jim March 21st 05 06:01 PM

Todd wrote:
Hi all,
I found a pin hole leak on a piece of galv. pipe that goes from my hot
water heater to the expansion tank mounted above the heater.

It looks like it would be easy to replace the pipe. My question is
whether there are any gotcha's I need to know.

Can I just turn off the cold water feed, drain a couple gallons from
the tank (so the water level is below the pipe), slowly unscrew the
expansion tank (to release any pressure), then remove and replace the
pipe?

TIA

Open (hot) faucets upstairs so water in piping will drain also.
There won't be any pressure on the exp tank.

If the rest of the piping is galv also, there is
always the danger that *something* is gonna break.
Use 2 pipe wrenches; one on the pipe and one on
the fitting below, so that you don't transfer stress
to other parts of the piping.

Plan B: Leave it alone. Get a pipe repair clamp
that fits over the pinhole. Deal with it when
the heater needs replacement.

Jim

Todd March 21st 05 06:59 PM

Man that was a quick reply! Thanks for the info.

Sounds like a very do-able chore for a plumbing neebie like myself.

Travis Jordan March 21st 05 08:09 PM

Todd wrote:
Hi all,
I found a pin hole leak on a piece of galv. pipe that goes from my hot
water heater to the expansion tank mounted above the heater.

Why do you have a hot water heater?

Phil Munro March 21st 05 09:56 PM

Consider this: if the galvanized pipe is leaking where it joins (is
screwed into) a COPPER pipe, be aware that the leak will probably come
bake after a few years. Galvanized to copper is a bad deal. You should
change to all copper if that is what you have. --Phil

Todd wrote:

Hi all,
I found a pin hole leak on a piece of galv. pipe that goes from my hot
water heater to the expansion tank mounted above the heater.

Youngstown State University
Youngstown, Ohio 44555

butch March 21st 05 11:17 PM

A couple of houses ago - was walking in the basement and heard a hiss -
stopped and took another step - was hit by a fine spray of water. Pin
hole in galvanized hot water pipe. Tried to replace this section -
when I put the wrenches on it - broke threads - ended up having to
replace all the pipes in the house.

If you do it yourself - be careful not to burn the place down when
sweating copper joints - keep some firefighting water handy.

Todd March 22nd 05 09:53 PM

My leak is in the middle of the pipe (the pipe is around 6" long)
rather than at any join. Also, there is no galv to copper connections
(thankfully!)

Todd March 22nd 05 09:56 PM

Sounds like EVERYONE LOVES galvanized ;-)

Hopefully, I'll not have the same problem. All joints are threaded and
fairly new (less than 2 years old). But then again, it does have a
leak already.

Christopher Flores March 25th 05 01:23 AM

Folks,

We have a Rheem hot water heater. I just noticed that water is collecting
around all three pipe joints at the top - inlet, outlet, expansion pipes. I
can't
fathom why all three joints are leaking at the same time. Any ideas or
suggestions?

Thanks.
Christopher

Dantanna April 4th 05 02:30 AM

Who knows - but depending on the age of the unit I would do the following:

New to newish - you or a plumber replace all fittings

Old to older - get new water heater.