DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Wall Removal Question? (https://www.diybanter.com/home-ownership/95466-wall-removal-question.html)

BobK207 March 26th 05 08:13 PM

Rob-

I thought I was being too conservative but I feel a lot better using
1.4 E06 for sawn DF.

The problem you describe with LVL is very upsetting; I thought the
engineered wood products were more consistent & could be trusted to
perform as calc'd.

Good to know actual perfomance is otherwise

cheers
Bob

Rob Munach March 27th 05 02:21 PM

Bob Morrison wrote:

In a previous post Rob Munach says...

Typically, in my designs, I won't even come close to code allowed
deflections. It doesn't cost much to go up 2" or 4" on an LVL, but you
get a significantly stiffer beam and no call backs.

And particularly important when the beam is a window or door header!

Yup. alot of contractors around here use the suppliers to size their
LVL's for free. They typically use just above code required deflections
.. The contractor gets what he *paid* for. I had a contractor ask me
recently for a design to resist a 5000lb uplift at the end of an LVL. I
couldn't imagine where that was coming from until I saw the beam design
from the supplier. It turns out, it was a 2 span beam with one of the
spans being really short. Since the supplier modeled it as 3 pinned
bearings instead of 2 pinned bearings and a cantilever, he ended up with
a huge uplift at the short end!

--
Rob Munach, PE
Excel Engineering

Chuck March 28th 05 08:01 AM

"Rob Munach" wrote in message
Bob Morrison wrote:

[...]

Why would you model it as a cantilever it won't behave that way. It will
still be connected to the end column of the short span will it not? once
connected it will feel the uplift. The only way it can behave like a
cantilever is if the column fails or is not used. The worst case is if the
longer span is loaded and the short span is not then the short span will not
only have a large uplift reaction but will have negative moment / tension on
the top and deflect upwards. The only way a cantilever will work is if the
end column isn't there. Is this what you are referring too?

Chuck...
Charles I. Dinsmore, PE SE RA ~

Rob Munach March 28th 05 02:40 PM

Chuck wrote:

"Rob Munach" wrote in message

Bob Morrison wrote:

[...]

Chuck,

The beam will only be toenailed to the stud column which will easily be
overcome by about 100lbs.(at least in residential construction in our
area) If it had an uplift connection to the column and the column was
bolted to the foundation, then you would be correct.

Adding this third pinned bearing also decreased the size of his beam due
to the span continuity (hence the large uplift - there ain't no free
lunch). I guess I should have said if he was intent on making this beam
one piece, he should have modeled it with a cantilever (and checked the
upward tip deflection for potential serviceability problems). I would
have modeled it as two separate beams in this case.

Regards,

Rob

Bob Morrison March 28th 05 04:55 PM

In a previous post Rob Munach says...
It turns out, it was a 2 span beam with one of the
spans being really short. Since the supplier modeled it as 3 pinned
bearings instead of 2 pinned bearings and a cantilever, he ended up with
a huge uplift at the short end!

I usually have the contractor cut the top 1/3 of the beam (or through
the top flange of I-joist) at the middle support. This makes two non-
continuous spans, but one piece of lumber.

--
Bob Morrison, PE, SE
R L Morrison Engineering Co

Rob Munach March 28th 05 07:19 PM

Bob Morrison wrote:

In a previous post Rob Munach says...

It turns out, it was a 2 span beam with one of the
spans being really short. Since the supplier modeled it as 3 pinned
bearings instead of 2 pinned bearings and a cantilever, he ended up with
a huge uplift at the short end!

I usually have the contractor cut the top 1/3 of the beam (or through
the top flange of I-joist) at the middle support. This makes two non-
continuous spans, but one piece of lumber.

Good idea.

--
Rob Munach, PE
Excel Engineering

[email protected] March 30th 05 02:34 PM

Guys,
It's sounds like I've sparked quite a debate with my original
question. I truely appreciate all the help. I ended up having an
engineer come out and we determined that the wall was NOT load bearing.
No beam needed.

The cost of the engineer ended up costing me more than the price of
putting up a beam - doh!

Thanks Again,
Matt

Bob Morrison March 30th 05 03:50 PM

In a previous post says...
It's sounds like I've sparked quite a debate with my original
question. I truely appreciate all the help. I ended up having an
engineer come out and we determined that the wall was NOT load bearing.
No beam needed.

The cost of the engineer ended up costing me more than the price of
putting up a beam - doh!

Yeah, but just think of how much better you will sleep at night!