Home Ownership (misc.consumers.house)

Default How to clean up broken glass in a dish-washer

Hi all,

Last night after I had finished loading dirty glasses and dishes to my
Whirlpool dishwasher, I closed the dishwasher door and heard glass
breaking sound. I opened the door and realized that a small glass was
broken inside the dishwasher. I tried my best to pick up most broken
glass pieces inside the dishwasher. However, it's really hard because
some of those broken pieces were very tiny and they looked like water
drop inside the dishwasher. I then ran two full cycles of dishwashing
in an attempt to rinse all those broken pieces out from dishwasher.

Still, I'm a bit worried if there are still any remanining pieces of
broken glasses inside the dishwasher. Even though the remaining pieces
may be small , the result will be very bad if any of them got into the
dish or cup in the future.

What's the best way to ensure that all of the broken glass pieces have
been cleaned up from the dishwasher? Do I really need to call a
professional technican to do this job?

Thanks in advance for any advice / suggestion
Dom

Vox Humana

wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

If your Whirlpool is like my Kitchen Aid (probably exactly the same motor),
take out the bottom rack. You should be able to remove the bottom wash arm
by unscrewing a nut on the top of the arm. You can lift it out, and then
there should be a removable rubber strainer that encircles the wash arm.
Remove that. You should be able to use a shop vac to suck up any broken
glass. The solid waste disposal in the dishwasher will probably just grind
up the bit you miss and pump them away.

Edwin Pawlowski

wrote in message

What's the best way to ensure that all of the broken glass pieces have
been cleaned up from the dishwasher? Do I really need to call a
professional technican to do this job?

Vacuum cleaner. be sure it is dry inside so nothing sticks.

On 16 Mar 2005 09:25:36 -0800, someone wrote:

....Do I really need to call a
professional technican to do this job?

What would the professional technician do???

Open door.

Leave open overnight so inside is dry.

Remove dishes so there is room to work.

Dump out the screen around the drain, and vacuum the bottom of the
dishwasher.

If you were nearby, I'd come over and do the vacuuming part for say
$100 so that you could feel it was done professionally, that is, for a
fee. Heck, I'd even remove the dishes.

You are not the first person who has broken a glass inside a
dishwasher. Happens all the time.

If you broke one in the sink, would you get a professional for that
too!

Tracey

wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi all,

What's the best way to ensure that all of the broken glass pieces have

been cleaned up from the dishwasher? Do I really need to call a
professional technican to do this job?

Try turning off all the lights in the room (at night) and looking inside
with a flashlight. Any glass specks should show up quickly in the light of
the flashlight. You can then just wipe the whole inside (after you take the
racks out) with a wet paper towel. I think that would get all of them out.

Gonz

wrote
Do I really need to call a
professional technican to do this job?

No, you can do this job yourself. You will need a helping hand (neighbor,
friend etc) and flashlight. First empty the dishwasher. Remove racks.
Make sure the heat dry is in the off position. Climb in with your
flashlight. Have your friendly neighbor latch the door and hit the pan or
extra cycle button. After 2hrs, you won't give a rat's behind about the
glass.

Posted to misc.consumers.house,rec.food.equipment,alt.home.repair

replying to domtam, Carla wrote:
hi This just happened to me this morning. First of all I swore and then swore
some more. The i got busy picking out all of the large pieces and them all
the medium and small pieces. When i couldn't get any more of the pieces out,
I took paper towel and soaked up all of the water. A lot of the smaller
pieces i couldn't pick up without cutting myself came up with the water on the
paper towel. when the inside of the dishwasher was dry, I then went to the
store and bought 3 cans of the pillsbury biscuits that need to be baked
(generic version). I open up the can and flattened out one biscuit and then
just patted the inside of the dishwasher to pick up any remaining shards of
glass. And repeat and repeat until all glass shards are gone. Please keep in
mind that you should dry the inside of the dishwasher with paper towel as much
a possible beforehand. I took the bottom rack out and then i took out the
little mesh basket that catches all the crud, and dried that out with paper
towel and then used a biscuit to get any remaining shard of glass out of that.

What a nightmare- but it worked. I didn't want to spend $50 on a shop vac.
this cost me about $6 for the paper towels which i already had and the
biscuits.

--
for full context, visit http://www.homeownershub.com/mainten...er-598387-.htm

Posted to misc.consumers.house,rec.food.equipment,alt.home.repair

replying to domtam, Your Mother wrote:

This usually happens when something strikes a glass object during the wash
cycle. Or, if you are like me, you are unloading clean dishes and drop a
plate unto a glass bowl still in the dishwasher. However it happened, it
stinks,

Here is what I did.

#1 Take all of the non-broken stuff out of the dishwasher and set it on the
counter, you're going to run it through again to get rid of any hidden glass
shards.

#2 Then CAREFULLY pick up the large shards of glass (use leather gloves if you
have them). Try to pick up anything large enough that you don't have to touch
the sharp edges. When in doubt, leave it for
the next step.

When I deal with broken glass I always put it in a container separate from my
trash can. That way no one gets cut emptying the trash, and when I put it out
on the curb I label it so the trash guys don't get a bad surprise.

#3. After the big pieces have been removed, take an old nylon stocking (no
holes) and slide it over the end of the hose of your vacuum. Then vacuum out
the bottom of the dishwasher, If the stocking
gathers a lot of glass, cut the power on the vacuum and let the glass
fall into your container.

#4. After you have vacuumed everything out, take a lent roller and roll it
all over the inside of your washer, changing sheet as needed. This works if
the insider of your washer is dry. If it is still wet, use
a wet paper towel, but use gloves to avoid shards in your hands.

#5. I then put the used lint roller sheets (or paper towel), and old
stocking in the same container as the broken glass.

#6. Run a rinse cycle with the dishwasher empty and then reload the dishes
and run a full cycle and you should be in the clear.

* If you really want to go the extra mile after you run the dishes through
again, you could remove the dishwasher's filter and rinse it to remove any
glass. But at that point the shards should be out of circulation and no
longer be a risk if they just remain in the filter.

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...er-598387-.htm