DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Some aluminum wires in new house (https://www.diybanter.com/home-ownership/85503-some-aluminum-wires-new-house.html)

Randy January 10th 05 01:28 AM

Some aluminum wires in new house

Hi,

I noticed there are SOME aluminum wires in the new home, specifically the
very thick rough-in cable (red, black, white and bare ground in the cable)
from outside to the main service panel, and the thick 240V cable from the
service panel to range outlet (same red, black, white and bare ground in the
cable) appear to be aluminum. All other branch circuits are copper. Does
this wiring comply with NEC code? Are they more likely to cause trouble than
copper and what particular care must be taken?

Thanks.

keith January 10th 05 02:07 AM

On Sun, 09 Jan 2005 17:28:39 -0800, Randy wrote:

Hi,

I noticed there are SOME aluminum wires in the new home, specifically the
very thick rough-in cable (red, black, white and bare ground in the cable)
from outside to the main service panel, and the thick 240V cable from the
service panel to range outlet (same red, black, white and bare ground in the
cable) appear to be aluminum. All other branch circuits are copper. Does
this wiring comply with NEC code? Are they more likely to cause trouble than
copper and what particular care must be taken?

Yes, and no. As long as the service is put in correctly (the proper CU-AL
fixtures), all is well. My entrance and range cables are aluminum.
After 18 years there are no issues at all. ...and I've pulled them apart
to look. Don't worry, be happy.

--
Keith

Randy January 10th 05 04:14 AM

Thanks for the comments but I recall the AL wires were used primarily during
196? - 197? and were phased out due to various problems.
Is it normal practice to put them in for entrance and range in new
constructions today?

Randy

John A. Weeks III January 10th 05 05:45 AM

In article ,
"Randy" wrote:

Thanks for the comments but I recall the AL wires were used primarily during
196? - 197? and were phased out due to various problems.
Is it normal practice to put them in for entrance and range in new
constructions today?

Almost all large wiring is aluminum. It doesn't corrode once it
builds up a layer of corrosion on its skin. Copper will rot all
the way through. Aluminum is also lighter, so you don't need as
much structure.

The issue with aluminum wiring in homes was a problem with
dissimilar metals. People were using aluminum wiring with
copper and brass fixtures. These heated up and expanded at
different rates, which lead to them coming loose. When they
got a little lose, they would heat up and cause fires.

The solution is to use aluminum rated fixtures with aluminum
wire, and copper rated fixtures with copper wire. There isn't
the same advantages for using aluminum in homes, so copper is
used for the common 120 and 240 volt runs. But for higher
power levels, aluminum is preferred.

What you have described (al for entrance wiring, copper for
the rest of the house) sounds like standard practice today.

-john-

John A. Weeks III 952-432-2708
Newave Communications
http://www.johnweeks.com