Home Ownership (misc.consumers.house)

cjra

Default tankless water system v. newish water heater

Just wondering on others' thoughts.

Does anyone in the US have a tankless water system? How do you like
it? Was it extremely expensive to install?

I've lived with them in the UK and love them, but they're not so common
in the US yet. We had decided we'd install one during renovation, but
the current water heater is the *one* thing in the entire house that's
reasonably new and in very good condition. Seems a shame to replace it
while it's working so well. However, we are still re-doing all the
plumbing, so it would make sense, one would think to install the new
system now.

Would costs be prohibitive to wait to install? As we're redoing the
entire house on limited funds, we have to pick and choose where we
spend the extra cash now.

TKM

Tankless heaters were starting to appear 6 years ago when I was designing a
house and I looked into using them. After some analysis, my conclusion was
that, yes, they would be slightly more energy efficient; but that the
payback would be 8-10 years using natural gas as fuel for both types. I
ended up with a forced-draft high-efficiency tank type.

No doubt tankless heaters have improved since then and more brands have
appeared; but I was also concerned about reliability and noise. Tankless
heaters are certainly more complicated than the tank type too. A few years
ago, I was a guest at a friend's house. He had a tankless and it wouldn't
light up for the morning showers. We worked on it for an hour. He was an
enthusiastic user of tankless; but after a freezing shower and comments from
his wife and his guest, the tankless was removed.

TKM

"cjra" wrote in message
oups.com...
Just wondering on others' thoughts.

Does anyone in the US have a tankless water system? How do you like
it? Was it extremely expensive to install?

I've lived with them in the UK and love them, but they're not so common
in the US yet. We had decided we'd install one during renovation, but
the current water heater is the *one* thing in the entire house that's
reasonably new and in very good condition. Seems a shame to replace it
while it's working so well. However, we are still re-doing all the
plumbing, so it would make sense, one would think to install the new
system now.

Would costs be prohibitive to wait to install? As we're redoing the
entire house on limited funds, we have to pick and choose where we
spend the extra cash now.

Joseph Meehan

cjra wrote:
Just wondering on others' thoughts.

Does anyone in the US have a tankless water system? How do you like
it? Was it extremely expensive to install?

I've lived with them in the UK and love them, but they're not so
common in the US yet. We had decided we'd install one during
renovation, but the current water heater is the *one* thing in the
entire house that's reasonably new and in very good condition. Seems
a shame to replace it while it's working so well. However, we are
still re-doing all the plumbing, so it would make sense, one would
think to install the new system now.

Would costs be prohibitive to wait to install? As we're redoing the
entire house on limited funds, we have to pick and choose where we
spend the extra cash now.

I suggest keeping what you have for now. By the time it needs
replacement, you will have experience with both systems and then you will be
in the best position to decide which is best for you. There should not be
any real advantage of changing it out now vs later. The other way around
would be more likely to have a problem.

--
Joseph Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

Roger Shoaf

I have a tankless in my house. If you are thinking about it be sure to
factor in the cost of upgrading the gas line and a bigger vent also.

The down side to tankless is the cost of the real upper end models that can
really crank up the output when you are in the shower and your wife is
washing dishes. Other factors that don't speak well for them are the cost
of the stinking parts.

If my tankless were to die I think I would replace it with a tank model.
On the good side, my tankless will give unlimited hot water and sure beats
the price of running the electric.

--

Roger Shoaf

they come up with this striped stuff.

"cjra" wrote in message
oups.com...
Just wondering on others' thoughts.

Does anyone in the US have a tankless water system? How do you like
it? Was it extremely expensive to install?

I've lived with them in the UK and love them, but they're not so common
in the US yet. We had decided we'd install one during renovation, but
the current water heater is the *one* thing in the entire house that's
reasonably new and in very good condition. Seems a shame to replace it
while it's working so well. However, we are still re-doing all the
plumbing, so it would make sense, one would think to install the new
system now.

Would costs be prohibitive to wait to install? As we're redoing the
entire house on limited funds, we have to pick and choose where we
spend the extra cash now.

cjra

Hmmm, I wonder if the systems in the US are not as good as those in the
UK? I never had any problems there, and most people I knew had that
system.

So, we are upgrading all gas and plumbing lines now anyway (house is
totally being renovated). It's not worth it to just do the tankless
now? Since all the lines are being changed?

Andy Hill

"cjra" wrote:
Hmmm, I wonder if the systems in the US are not as good as those in the
UK? I never had any problems there, and most people I knew had that
system.

Based on my limited experiences in England, the standards are different on the
European side of the pond. Americans expect to be able to nearly drown in
their showers, while the Brits seem to be happy if water comes out of the shower
heads at all :-) . Not too many tankless units being sold that can give the
short-term flow rate of a 50 gallon tanked unit.

IMHO, there are a lot of undersized units being sold in the US, mainly because
units that put out enough flow to make the typical American happy cost some
serious $$$.

So, we are upgrading all gas and plumbing lines now anyway (house is
totally being renovated). It's not worth it to just do the tankless
now? Since all the lines are being changed?

Do it now. In addition to the upsized gas line, you'll probably have to run a
much larger exhaust vent than the previous water heater required. Just don't
scrimp on the water heater. I have a Takagi TK-2, and wouldn't mind a unit
with a bit more flow. Even then, I still much prefer it to the water heater it
replaced.

Roger Shoaf

"cjra" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hmmm, I wonder if the systems in the US are not as good as those in the
UK?

My tankless was made in France.

I never had any problems there, and most people I knew had that
system.

So, we are upgrading all gas and plumbing lines now anyway (house is
totally being renovated). It's not worth it to just do the tankless
now? Since all the lines are being changed?

Worth is a relative question.

How much is it going to cost to replace the 1/2" gas line with a 3/4 or 1
inch line? How much is it going to cost to run the vent? How much is it
going to cost you to maintain the tankless over it's life vs. how much will
you get in savings from the reduced gas bill? I suspect your remodel budget
will be better spent elsewhere.

--

Roger Shoaf

they come up with this striped stuff.

Hagrinas Mivali

"cjra" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hmmm, I wonder if the systems in the US are not as good as those in the
UK? I never had any problems there, and most people I knew had that
system.

So, we are upgrading all gas and plumbing lines now anyway (house is
totally being renovated). It's not worth it to just do the tankless
now? Since all the lines are being changed?

The common tankless ones are made by big companies such as Bosch or Japanese
companies and are not made in the US anyway. They tend to be bigger sized in
the US than European ones. In some countries, there are small units that
are used for each bathroom, or even just for the shower. Many of them are
electric and not gas. I don't know what's prevalent in England.

I once spent a great deal of time looking into it. I live in California
where gas prices are not cheap, and it still would take a long time to break
even. Also, the warranty said it only applied if I hired a licensed
plumber, so it would have been expensive, assuming that they could get away
with that clause.

cjra

The little electric ones are different - I've used those before as well
in the shower (in houses in the UK and in Thailand). They work well,
but I don't think they'd fly for an American household.

GUess it makes sense that the US ones would be bigger, the average
house in the US is substantially bigger than in Europe.

Edward Grant

In article .com,
"cjra" wrote:

The little electric ones are different - I've used those before as well
in the shower (in houses in the UK and in Thailand). They work well,
but I don't think they'd fly for an American household.

GUess it makes sense that the US ones would be bigger, the average
house in the US is substantially bigger than in Europe.

Is there a small tankless unit available in the USA for under the sink,
for example. We live in a condo and out hot water tank is at the
opposite end of the unit from our kitchen. It seems to take forever for
the hot water to reach the kitchen sink and the dishwasher. I was
thinking of an auxiliary tankless unit for under our kitchen sink and
then we could disconnect the hot water tank from the kitchen.

D. Gerasimatos

In article ,
Edward Grant wrote:

Is there a small tankless unit available in the USA for under the sink,
for example. We live in a condo and out hot water tank is at the
opposite end of the unit from our kitchen. It seems to take forever for
the hot water to reach the kitchen sink and the dishwasher. I was
thinking of an auxiliary tankless unit for under our kitchen sink and
then we could disconnect the hot water tank from the kitchen.

You can do that, but a better install would be to install a large tankless
unit in series with the tank and recirculate the hot water with a pump.
This is according to a plumber who does a lot of tankless installations.

Dimitri