DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Removing Wallpaper (https://www.diybanter.com/home-ownership/82454-removing-wallpaper.html)

[email protected] December 20th 04 08:57 PM

Removing Wallpaper

I have read many of the solutions to removing wallpaper. Most
solutions end with "then strip the wallpaper . . .". This is where I'm
struggling. That part seems to need more explaining, which I have not
yet found. Here is what I am doing so far.

1. Scoring the wallpaper with a Paper Tiger.
2. Using a Paint Roller to apply Hot Water with a small amount of
dishwashing detergent.
3. Let it set for a few minutes and then attack it with a puddy knife
type tool.

What is happening, is the outer printed wall covering peels off in very
small pieces. 6" x 6" pieces if I'm lucky. After this comes off, the
backing soaks up pretty well and almost slides off. But it is the
initial outer print that is the problem. It is a pretty small 1/2 bath
that I am doing, but this will still take me days and days to do.

I guess my questions a
1. Is this normal?
2. What can I do to speed this up?
3. Am I just unfortunate in the fact that this wallpaper was put up
with the best adhesive known to civilized man?