DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Covering return air grilles (https://www.diybanter.com/home-ownership/80415-covering-return-air-grilles.html)

[email protected] December 6th 04 09:38 PM

Covering return air grilles

I have an old house with all the return air vents at the bottom of the
walls, right above the baseboards. The problem is the suction and dust
problems I get with drapes, blinds, etc. in front of the grilles. It
also doesn't help with my furnace efficiency and it may be unsafe.

What kind of accessory do I need to resolve this issue? What kind of
hood, deflector, or cover should I use for these grilles to prevent the
problems? The grilles measure 8" by 11 1/2".

Thanks!
Dennis v.

v December 7th 04 04:34 PM

On 6 Dec 2004 13:38:49 -0800, someone wrote:

The problem is the suction and dust
problems I get with drapes, blinds, etc. in front of the grilles.

Enlarge the openings so that the velocity is not so high. If you
don't care to do the surgery, then don't use long drapes that cover
the vents. And clean your house including any duct buildups.

-v.