Home Ownership (misc.consumers.house)

Rob

Default toro 524 snowblower questions

I have never owned a snow blower and know nothing about them, other than
they're expensive, I'm broke, and I'm tired of spending 3 hours outside with
a shovel when it snows. I have an opportunity to pick up a 25 year old Toro
524 for $100. It's had a recent tuneup and I'm told it runs fine, the chute
is rather rusty though. I can't find any info about this on the net. I
dont know if its 1-stage or 2-stage. I don't know who makes the motor. I
have no idea if it's good for new england winters or for a steep, long
driveway with heavy snow.

Any info about these sort of things would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

#1. What size is the engine? "A steep, long driveway with
heavy snow.needs at least 8 h.p., preferably 10.
#2. If this is large enough for your needs, and if the
engine runs OK and the impellers turn, buy it.

--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs

Andrew Duane

A 524 is a 5 horsepower, 24" wide intake. It's likely a two-stage
(which means there is a separate small impeller that throws the snow
up the discharge chute).

This is a pretty small unit for a "long steep driveway" in my neck of
New England (southern NH). It will work, but won't be *that* much
easier than a shovel since you will have to go very slowly and only
take in a small amount of the 24" width, maybe half. If you're in
Rhode Island, where big snow means 6", it should be fine. In NH, where
we can get feet, it probably isn't worth it. I have a Deere 8/24, and
it was barely enough for my old 200' 10% pitch driveway.

"Rob" wrote in message news:LMIrd.4588$gN3.3644@trndny07...
I have never owned a snow blower and know nothing about them, other than
they're expensive, I'm broke, and I'm tired of spending 3 hours outside with
a shovel when it snows. I have an opportunity to pick up a 25 year old Toro
524 for $100. It's had a recent tuneup and I'm told it runs fine, the chute
is rather rusty though. I can't find any info about this on the net. I
dont know if its 1-stage or 2-stage. I don't know who makes the motor. I
have no idea if it's good for new england winters or for a steep, long
driveway with heavy snow.

Any info about these sort of things would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Rob

Thanks for the detailed info, I guess I'll pass on this. I'm on the MA/NH
border where
we frequently see feet of snow as well. The driveway is only about 80' but
it is rather
steep (I have no idea what %age grade) and has an approx 60'x60' area at the
top that
would need to be cleared as well. I knew I should have kept that truck and
just put a
plow on it...... :P.

om...

On 3 Dec 2004 11:44:51 -0800, someone wrote:

This is a pretty small unit for a "long steep driveway" in my neck of
New England (southern NH). It will work, but won't be *that* much
easier than a shovel...

..., I'm broke, and I'm tired of spending 3 hours outside with
a shovel when it snows. I have an opportunity to pick up a 25 year old Toro
524 for $100.

It will be one HELL of a lot EASIER on his back than a shovel, as no
matter how slow he has to walk with the low- powered blower, he still
won't have to push and toss with the shovel.

Sure 5hp is low, my little one (difrerent brand) for walkways &
cleanup is bigger, but I have done our entire 400 foot driveway with
it when the plow guy didn/t show up one day. If its gonna snow a
foot, OK maybe he goes out and does it 2x if he lives there and is
home while its coming down.

OTOH if somebody was gonna show up at a weekend place and face 2 feet
at once that had accumulated all week, they'd need something that
could handle that. But those folks usually have a local contractor to
have the place ready for them when they get there.

-v.

Rob

"v" wrote in message
[...]

I'm looking at a 7hp Ariens now for an even trade for a
treadmill. Still not 8-10 but I should probably get something
now if I plan on it before the snow really starts flying and the
snowblower demand jumps.

Posted to misc.consumers.house

Why would the front auger stop when you are getting into heavy snow ️ o