DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   frugal heating this winter?? (https://www.diybanter.com/home-ownership/75627-re-frugal-heating-winter.html)

john grove November 5th 04 11:11 PM

frugal heating this winter??

Anyone have some fresh and economical ideas on saving money on heat this
winter-- it is supposed to be a tough winter....
Peg

Winterize NOW before prices go up. Hubby is replacing caulk around
windows, weather-stripping around doors, replacing filters in furnace,
etc. One other thing we do is keep a huge pot of boiling water going on
the (gas) stove 24/7 when the weather is REALLY cold (around here, that
is 20 deg F or colder). Somehow, having the air humidified helps the
whole house seem warmer (and I 'spose having the burner on low doesn't
hurt, either).

--Jane

Insulate the air ducts with foil backed fiberglass (with special foil tape or
plastic tie wrapping, not duct tape). 30-40 percent savings on natural gas
costs easily. If, you can get to the ducts in a crawl space, etc.

Doesn't hurt to wrap the return ducts also.

JG

v November 12th 04 08:48 PM

On 5 Nov 2004 15:11:40 -0800, someone wrote:

Anyone have some fresh and economical ideas on saving money on heat this
winter--

Doubt there are any/many "fresh" ideas out there.

Not a new subject.

Every time prices jump, there is another round of interest. The 1st
one I really remember was the 70's "oil crisis".

-v.