Home Ownership (misc.consumers.house)

Guogang

Default Tree Branch Fell on Phone Line

The tree is out of our back yard, in the property of water district. A
branch fell and stuck on the lines over our back yard. The branch is
about 20 feet high, and beyond our reach.

PG&E came out and said that the branch is not on their power line, but
on a phone line, which is about 5 feet lower than the power line. SBC
won't even come out look at it, claiming they will only service if the
phone line is broken.

Now, I want to remove it myself, but I do not know how can I remove it
myself. Or, there is still some place I can call for help? Any
suggestions would be highly appreciated.
Hagrinas Mivali

"Guogang" wrote in message
om...
The tree is out of our back yard, in the property of water district. A
branch fell and stuck on the lines over our back yard. The branch is
about 20 feet high, and beyond our reach.

PG&E came out and said that the branch is not on their power line, but
on a phone line, which is about 5 feet lower than the power line. SBC
won't even come out look at it, claiming they will only service if the
phone line is broken.

Now, I want to remove it myself, but I do not know how can I remove it
myself. Or, there is still some place I can call for help? Any
suggestions would be highly appreciated.

Did you ask the water district? If it's their tree, and it damaged your
property (if only by requiring you to remove it) then you have the right to
a claim.

Al Bundy

"Hagrinas Mivali" wrote in message ...
"Guogang" wrote in message
om...
The tree is out of our back yard, in the property of water district. A
branch fell and stuck on the lines over our back yard. The branch is
about 20 feet high, and beyond our reach.

PG&E came out and said that the branch is not on their power line, but
on a phone line, which is about 5 feet lower than the power line. SBC
won't even come out look at it, claiming they will only service if the
phone line is broken.

Now, I want to remove it myself, but I do not know how can I remove it
myself. Or, there is still some place I can call for help? Any
suggestions would be highly appreciated.

Did you ask the water district? If it's their tree, and it damaged your
property (if only by requiring you to remove it) then you have the right to
a claim.

I'm no attorney, but the branch on your property is your
responsibility as a rule. So you have the right to remove just that
branch. If you can't figure out how to do it you could call a tree
service, which could be expensive. Phone lines are not too high as a
rule. You said 20 feet. Maybe you could rent a 16 foot ladder and
reach it. I did something similar by attaching a string of poles to a
pole trimmer enough to reach the height. I cut two 6" diameter limbs
that way. It took a great physical effort to do because of the weight
of the pole and flexing.
Hagrinas Mivali

"Al Bundy" wrote in message
om...
"Hagrinas Mivali" wrote in message

"Guogang" wrote in message
om...
[...]

These things vary from state to state, but it's a tort issue. A branch that
overhangs into your yard is encroaching and is something you can cut.
That's probably true in every state. But a tree falling into your yard and
doing damage is a different issue. It may be on your property, but if a car
crashed through your fence, the same could be said of the car.

On 9 Sep 2004 05:25:48 -0700, someone wrote:

.... I did something similar by attaching a string of poles to a
pole trimmer enough to reach the height. I cut two 6" diameter limbs
that way. It took a great physical effort to do because of the weight
of the pole and flexing.

That sounds like an "Al Bundy" way of doing something.

Here's what a friend of mine did in a similar situation, where the
phone company refused to come out: he pulled the line down to the
ground, and reported a downed line, and then they came out right away!

chuckles,

-v.

Hagrinas Mivali

"v" wrote in message
On 9 Sep 2004 05:25:48 -0700, someone wrote:

.... I did something similar by attaching a string of poles to a
pole trimmer enough to reach the height. I cut two 6" diameter limbs
that way. It took a great physical effort to do because of the weight
of the pole and flexing.

That sounds like an "Al Bundy" way of doing something.

Here's what a friend of mine did in a similar situation, where the
phone company refused to come out: he pulled the line down to the
ground, and reported a downed line, and then they came out right away!

You could always call and say that a tree fell on the line and the line is
down. Just don't say how far down.