DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Why buy a house? (https://www.diybanter.com/home-ownership/63356-why-buy-house.html)

Timm Simpkins July 16th 04 03:41 PM

Bidet: was: Why buy a house?

"SHARX" wrote in message
news:wuNJc.36631$iw3.35099@clgrps13...
Timm Simpkins wrote:
|| "SHARX" wrote in message
||| A few pennies a roll gradually adds up to a LOT of MONEY. Also, why
||| is your air conditioning not also lowering the humidity in your
||| apartment?
|| Not everyone has air conditioning. In northern US states and Canada
|| it's very common to find homes without them. Also there are other
|| areas where the air is dry enough that evaporative/swamp coolers are
|| used to moderate to good effect. If you live in a humid state it's
|| very likely that you have never heard of swamp cooling. Those add
|| humidity, and if you've ever lived in a house with a swamp cooler
|| you'll quickly learn to seal up your chips, crackers, cereal,
|| cookies and anything else that is supposed to have some crispiness
|| to them.

EXCUSE me!!! I DO live in Canada and anyone here in EDMONTON without

central
air conditioning is a masochist. I, for one, believe in controlling my
environment, not vice versa.

I didn't say it was comfortable, only that it's much more common than one
might think. Also it matters what part of Canada you're in. Just as the
US, Canada has warmer and cooler areas.

Timm Simpkins July 16th 04 04:11 PM

Why buy a house?

"Rod Speed" wrote in message

Timm Simpkins wrote in message

Rod, since you're obviously so much more knowledgeable
about everything than I am, and you have obviously bought
and sold more property in more areas than I have,

Even you should be able to bull**** your way out of your
predicament better than that pathetic effort, Simpkins.

I don't feel I'm in a predicament, why should I try to bull**** my way out
of it? You made statements that were clearly in error and as anyone can
tell from the tone of your posts, you're feeling a bit flustered and off
balance. That's okay, it's normal for people to act that way when cornered.
Often you'll speak to people that get loud when they are coming from a
position of weakness. For example, look at how loud Republicans were under
Clinton, and look how loud Democrats are now under Bush. Other than the
contract with america, there has been nothing on either side of any
substance to argue about from a strong position, so they revert to name
calling.

Now this word you have decided makes you sound more intelligent. Puerile,
while not a word commonly used, is not near as effective when it's the only
uncommon word you know. Not only does it loose its effect when you've been
flogging it like you do yourself while watching your kiddie porn and
imagining that 5 year old little boy as a two dollar transvestite
prostitute, the way in which you use it clearly backfires on you. You sound
like a teenager throwing a tantrum, and if anything has been puerile it's
been your comments.

You say I'm wrong, and that what I post is crap, show me how I'm wrong.
I'll definitely take you to school on this issue. I know real estate, and
you clearly haven't owned anything more expensive than your collection of
used butt plugs.

then why do you even reply to my posts.

I choose to rub your nose in the stupidity of the crap you post, Simpkins.

You get to like that or lump it.

reams of your puerile **** any 3 year old
could leave for dead flushed where it belongs

reams of your puerile posturing any 3 year old
could leave for dead flushed where it belongs

If you think you're such an excellent predictor of future events,

Never said anything even remotely resembling anything
like that, you pathetic excuse for a bull**** artist.

You made it sound like you could do it regularly with reasonable certainty.
If you're talking about once or twice in a lifetime, don't waste people's
time because odds like that suck. The fact that it can happen means
nothing. Trying to invest in property that way is kind of like taking
million to one odds on whether or not the sun is going supernova tomorrow
just because a black crow was outside your bathroom window with a piece of
blue yarn this morning. It makes no sense to make that bet, just like you
make no sense.

[email protected] July 16th 04 04:34 PM

Why buy a house?

You say I'm wrong, and that what I post is crap, show me how I'm wrong.
I'll definitely take you to school on this issue. I know real estate, and
you clearly haven't owned anything more expensive than your collection of
used butt plugs.

Hahahahaha!!

I like that one Timm

Steven M. Scharf July 16th 04 05:05 PM

Why buy a house?

"victor" wrote in message

snip

In the end, I suppose it's a matter of personal preference. But I do
wish my home-owning friends would cut out the holier-than-thou attitude.

It all depends on the area of the country and the housing prices. In my
area, Silicon Valley, the mortgage payment on a house, after making a 20%
down payment, will be about three times as high as what you could rent an
equivalent property for. Add property taxes and insurance to that, and
you're at 3.5x. The rule of thumb is that you shouldn't pay more than twice
as much in a mortage payment as the property would rent for. Eventually it
will shift as more people sell their rental properties the rents will rise
due to smaller supply and the selling prices will level off.

OTOH, in some areas where housing prices aren't so crazy, it probably makes
sense to buy.

You have to look at the big picture. When rent is extremely cheap, there are
better places to keep your money. Of course much of the home ownership
desirability has nothing to do with the financial aspects of it.

Barbara Bomberger July 16th 04 05:16 PM

Why buy a house?

On Thu, 15 Jul 2004 18:18:04 GMT, "SHARX"
wrote:

WHY should a person buy a big a house as they can afford. We could afford to
buy a much larger, more expensive house but the one we have meets our NEEDS.
Get frugal, eh?

Frugal is buying a house that wil meet your long term needs

No one said expensive, no one said necessarily as much as you can
afford, I just said buy WHAT you can afford. Any other inference was
yours.

However, it would not be frugal to be a young couplle, know you were
planning on four kids, and buy a one or two bedroom house. It would
be shortsighted, to say the least. Better to get the kind of home you
want for the type of family you will want at the beginning.

Eh???

Timm Simpkins July 16th 04 05:17 PM

Why buy a house?

"Steven M. Scharf" wrote in message
nk.net...

It all depends on the area of the country and the housing prices. In my
area, Silicon Valley, the mortgage payment on a house, after making a 20%
down payment, will be about three times as high as what you could rent an
equivalent property for. Add property taxes and insurance to that, and
you're at 3.5x. The rule of thumb is that you shouldn't pay more than

twice
as much in a mortage payment as the property would rent for. Eventually it
will shift as more people sell their rental properties the rents will rise
due to smaller supply and the selling prices will level off.

I've never heard that rule of thumb before. Anyone that uses that as a rule
of thumb is nuts. The rule of thumb is that each month's rent should be
about 1% of the total value of the property. If it's not, you end up with
no cash flow, and if your rent is 1/2 of the mortgage payment the other
half, plus maintenance comes out of your pocket. Not very wise.

Bob Ward July 16th 04 06:09 PM

Why buy a house?

On Fri, 16 Jul 2004 02:56:48 -0600, "Timm Simpkins"
wrote:

"Steve" wrote in message
.. .
"Timm Simpkins" wrote:
not be able to afford it then. House prices go up - and fast. They

may
slow down for a period, but they always go up.

No, they don't always go up. Sometimes they go down. Or people just
won't sell until they can break even, just like in the stock market.

You can give yourself some insurance as to its future value. The more
expensive the house, the more apt the value is to increase

This is true, except when it's not. You're probably better off with
mid-range houses, somewhere around the median price for your area.
Higher-end houses can go thru long periods of time when there simply
are not many buyers in the market.

Are we talking about the $350,000 house or the $3,500,000 house? I said
more expensive, not outrageously expensive. The longest I've ever had to
hold on to a higher dollar house for was 7 months. The house appraised for
$480,000 and I sold it for $450,000. When realizing a return of about
150,000 or about 400% of my initial down payment and mortgage payments
combined, I think it worked out pretty good.

That may seem like a mid-range home to you, but where I live that's on the
very high end of the home prices.

Location, Location, Location. In the area of Southern California
where I work (I photograph houses for virtual tours for Realtors)
$450,000 is a lower-end tract home.

Bob Ward July 16th 04 06:14 PM

Why buy a house?

On Fri, 16 Jul 2004 03:04:24 -0600, "Timm Simpkins"
wrote:

The lender is actually the owner of the house, but by contract they cannot
do anything unless the buyer breaks their contract. Once the contract is
fulfilled the buyer owns the house "outright," which gives little extra
legal latitude over a person who still owes money to a bank. The bank,
unlike the government, cannot legally take a home from you or make any
changes to that home without you breaking the contract.

OK, professor - now explain second mortgages. How does one borrow
additional money against an unowned asset?

Bob Ward July 16th 04 06:15 PM

Why buy a house?

On Fri, 16 Jul 2004 03:33:04 -0600, "Timm Simpkins"
wrote:

I think the fact that I have bought and sold over 27 million dollars worth
of real estate and bought and kept over 8 million more on top of that in the
last 11 years probably makes me somewhat of an expert. I have run across
generally unknown information one time in those 11 years that gave me the
upper hand you're speaking of while buying. I signed one contract within 2
weeks in the area and on the third week I found that every single appraiser
in the area had found out about the proposed interstate exit. Immediately I
found it impossible to find the deals I desired. Prices doubled and
tripled.

All of that, and you STILL don't understand the law?

doubter July 16th 04 07:01 PM

Why buy a house?

wrote:

The lender is actually the owner of the house, but by contract they cannot
do anything unless the buyer breaks their contract. Once the contract is
fulfilled the buyer owns the house "outright," which gives little extra
legal latitude over a person who still owes money to a bank.

This single statement destroys any credibility you may have had. The lender has
a lien on the house, no more, no less. That is a far cry from owning it. Now
tell us again about all the property you own and have bought and sold. Right!

D. Gerasimatos July 16th 04 08:19 PM

Why buy a house?

In article ,
Timm Simpkins wrote:

I've never heard that rule of thumb before. Anyone that uses that as a rule
of thumb is nuts. The rule of thumb is that each month's rent should be
about 1% of the total value of the property. If it's not, you end up with
no cash flow, and if your rent is 1/2 of the mortgage payment the other
half, plus maintenance comes out of your pocket. Not very wise.

There is a term called a 'gross rent multiplier' which is used for these sorts
of calculations. You will find that every area has a different average
and that individual properties in a given city could have vastly different
GRMS. More desirable locations such as near the beach have higher GRMs.
How high of a GRM is too high is a personal decision.

A $500,000 house is not going to rent for $5,000 per month in very many
places so the original poster is probably right in saying that he can rent
such a property for $2,500 per month. That's because: 1) The landlord
probably didn't buy at current market value and/or 2) The landlord is
speculating that the price of the property will appreciate.

My old landlord (when I rented) built a 6 unit apartment building and
lived in one of the units. She told me that the cash flow was negative for
the first few years. Now, 35 years later, she doesn't worry about it since
it is long since paid off. Her rents were substantially cheaper than the
surrounding properties that were just being erected and yet she is making
a lot more money than they are because of 1) above. Back in the 60s she
was counting on 2) above. This is just an example of why the Silicon
Valley person's observations are what they are.

The mistake he is making is using rents as a determination as to whether he
wishes to purchase a home to live in or not. Using that barometer, rents
haven't closely tracked home prices in about 10+ years in California. One
missed out on a lot of appreciation if he sat the market out all that time, not
to mention that he could be 10 years into a mortgage by now.

Dimitri

v July 16th 04 08:35 PM

Why buy a house?

On Wed, 14 Jul 2004 05:36:45 +1000, someone wrote:

reserves for replacement of appliances, HVAC apparatus, etc.

Which you pay for in the rent.

EXACTLY - They have to be ADDED to the mortgage to get the actual
cost. Whereas they are already included in the rent. And you
mentioned how few appliances are essential, so its OK for the
homeowner to live without a 'fridge for a few months if they can't
afford one - but can you imagine if Mr. Landlord said to a tenant,
sorry I can't replace you fridge for a few month, I'm kinda strapped
right now....

For people who are handy or have the means to pay for the greater
luxury of owned housing, ownership is fine. But they should not act
so holier than thou about it. Its like people who buy cars acting
holier than those who lease them.

-v.

v July 16th 04 08:37 PM

Why buy a house?

On Wed, 14 Jul 2004 12:24:35 -0400, someone wrote:

Do you think it's good to kick someone when he's down?

It may not be better, but it sure is easier!

-v.

SoCalMike July 16th 04 09:15 PM

Why buy a house?

I've never heard that rule of thumb before. Anyone that uses that as a rule
of thumb is nuts. The rule of thumb is that each month's rent should be
about 1% of the total value of the property. If it's not, you end up with
no cash flow, and if your rent is 1/2 of the mortgage payment the other
half, plus maintenance comes out of your pocket. Not very wise.

i bought at $120k... this place will sell for $200k. i pay $627/mo in
mortgage payments. so if i decided to rent this place out, what should i
charge? $1200/mo seems maybe about right, but probably on the high side.
no way its worth $2000/mo.

SoCalMike July 16th 04 09:25 PM

Why buy a house?

For people who are handy or have the means to pay for the greater
luxury of owned housing, ownership is fine. But they should not act
so holier than thou about it. Its like people who buy cars acting
holier than those who lease them.

and its the same mindset. people who *perpetually* lease either cant
afford to buy the pimpmobile they want, they are easily bored and want a
new flavor very 3 years, or their credit is so ****ty they can only get
a low-down, high monthly payment lease. or they are women, who want to
drive a car for 3 years while it still has a warranty.

now, if at the end of the lease, you like the car and figure its worth
more than the residual, then you can redeem yourself by buying it. in my
one and only lease (which i still kick myself over), i used the 3 years
to save up the $6500 it took to buy the car. then i wrote a check, got
the pink slip, and have been driving it with no monthly payments for the
past 4 years.

perpetually leasing a car means car payments forever, and thats not frugal.

Rod Speed July 16th 04 09:37 PM

Why buy a house?

v wrote in message

And you mentioned how few appliances are essential,
so its OK for the homeowner to live without a 'fridge
for a few months if they can't afford one

Just one of the few that is close to essential.

- but can you imagine if Mr. Landlord said to
a tenant, sorry I can't replace you fridge for a
few month, I'm kinda strapped right now....

Academic when fridges dont fail that ofen and a cheap standin
is always possible if you dont have the cash for a new one.

For people who are handy or have the means to pay
for the greater luxury of owned housing, ownership is
fine. But they should not act so holier than thou about it.

Just rubbing your nose in the financial basics.

Its like people who buy cars acting holier than those who lease them.

Nope, nothing like.

Rod Speed July 16th 04 09:43 PM

Why buy a house?

Timm Simpkins wrote in
message ...
Rod Speed wrote
Timm Simpkins wrote

Rod, since you're obviously so much more knowledgeable
about everything than I am, and you have obviously bought
and sold more property in more areas than I have,

Even you should be able to bull**** your way out of your
predicament better than that pathetic effort, Simpkins.

I don't feel I'm in a predicament, why
should I try to bull**** my way out of it?

Even you should be able to bull**** your way out of your
predicament better than that pathetic effort, Simpkins.

You made statements that were clearly in error

Obvious lie.

and as anyone can tell from the tone of your posts,
you're feeling a bit flustered and off balance.

Even you should be able to bull**** your way out of your
predicament better than that pathetic effort, Simpkins.

reams of your puerile **** any 3 year old
could leave for dead flushed where it belongs

If you think you're such an excellent predictor of future events,

Never said anything even remotely resembling anything
like that, you pathetic excuse for a bull**** artist.

You made it sound like you could do it regularly with reasonable certainty.

Another lie.

Rod Speed July 16th 04 09:50 PM

Why buy a house?

wrote in message ...

You say I'm wrong, and that what I post is crap, show me
how I'm wrong. I'll definitely take you to school on this issue.
I know real estate, and you clearly haven't owned anything
more expensive than your collection of used butt plugs.

Hahahahaha!!

I like that one Timm

So much for your puerile posturing about
'Come on. You people "were" better than this'

Just another pathetic hypocrite.

Rod Speed July 16th 04 09:53 PM

Why buy a house?

Barbara Bomberger wrote
in message ...
SHARX wrote

WHY should a person buy a big a house as they can afford.
We could afford to buy a much larger, more expensive house
but the one we have meets our NEEDS. Get frugal, eh?

Frugal is buying a house that wil meet your long term needs

Not necessarily. It can be more frugal to buy what will produce
the best return on the most expensive investment you will ever
make at the same time. Particularly if you dont like the risk
downsides with the other investment alternatives.

D. Gerasimatos July 16th 04 10:37 PM

Why buy a house?

In article ,
Sandra Loosemore wrote:

When you rent, your landlord still has to pay property taxes,
mortgage, maintenance, deal with less than 100% occupancy and/or
deadbeat tenants, and make a profit besides. Do you think those
expenses aren't just getting passed on to the tenants? When you buy
your own home, you at least cut out the expense of the middleman.

Sure, but the landlord's expenses may not be that high if he has owned
the property for a long time.

Dimitri

D. Gerasimatos July 16th 04 10:40 PM

Why buy a house?

In article xQWJc.92125$MB3.65540@attbi_s04,
SoCalMike wrote:

and its the same mindset. people who *perpetually* lease either cant
afford to buy the pimpmobile they want, they are easily bored and want a
new flavor very 3 years, or their credit is so ****ty they can only get
a low-down, high monthly payment lease. or they are women, who want to
drive a car for 3 years while it still has a warranty.

Did you know that you actually need to have *better* credit to lease?

perpetually leasing a car means car payments forever, and thats not frugal.

Of course, but you can have car payments forever if you buy and keep
trading as well. The lease itself has little to do with it.

Dimitri

Rod Speed July 16th 04 11:24 PM

Why buy a house?

Sandra Loosemore wrote in
message ...

A couple comments....

When you rent, your landlord still has to pay property taxes,
mortgage, maintenance, deal with less than 100% occupancy
and/or deadbeat tenants, and make a profit besides.

Not necessarily on that last. Some just use rental property
as a way of getting a return on their investment and the
entire concept of 'profit' doesnt really enter into it.

They certainly need to achieve a surplus over
those costs, but thats not the same thing as profit.

Do you think those expenses aren't
just getting passed on to the tenants?

Corse they are most of the time. Not always tho,
particularly when the market for rental property is poor.

When you buy your own home, you at least
cut out the expense of the middleman.

Its more complicated than that, particularly when the
property is fully paid off so there is no mortgage cost.

Steve July 16th 04 11:49 PM

Why buy a house?

"Rod Speed" wrote:
When you rent, your landlord still has to pay property taxes,
mortgage, maintenance, deal with less than 100% occupancy
and/or deadbeat tenants, and make a profit besides.

Not necessarily on that last. Some just use rental property
as a way of getting a return on their investment and the
entire concept of 'profit' doesnt really enter into it.
They certainly need to achieve a surplus over
those costs, but thats not the same thing as profit.

And there may not be a surplus, depending on the situation. There are
lots of "forced" house rentals due to job transfers, etc.

Barry Gold July 16th 04 11:52 PM

Why buy a house?

Bob Ward wrote:
OK, professor - now explain second mortgages. How does one borrow
additional money against an unowned asset?

You borrow against your equity -- the difference between the current
value of the house and what you owe on the first mortgage.

But I think nowadays most loans are made on "trust deeds", not
"mortgages". Under a trust deed, the borrower remains(*) the owner,
but the lender is a "trustee", with the power to sell the house if
the buyer breaks the loan contract.

Hence the buyer can take out a second trust deed, using the same
asset.

(*) or becomes the owner, in the case where the trust deed is used to
buy the house.
--
I pledge allegiance to the Constitution of the United States of America, and
to the republic which it established, one nation from many peoples, promising

Rod Speed July 17th 04 01:32 AM

Why buy a house?

Steve wrote in message
Rod Speed wrote

When you rent, your landlord still has to pay property taxes,
mortgage, maintenance, deal with less than 100% occupancy
and/or deadbeat tenants, and make a profit besides.

Not necessarily on that last. Some just use rental property
as a way of getting a return on their investment and the
entire concept of 'profit' doesnt really enter into it.
They certainly need to achieve a surplus over
those costs, but thats not the same thing as profit.

And there may not be a surplus, depending on the situation.

Yeah, that's what I said in the bit you snipped. Here it is again.

Do you think those expenses aren't
just getting passed on to the tenants?

Corse they are most of the time. Not always tho,
particularly when the market for rental property is poor.

There are lots of "forced" house rentals due to job transfers, etc.

Sure.

Rod Speed July 17th 04 01:37 AM

Why buy a house?

Barry Gold wrote in message
Bob Ward wrote:

OK, professor - now explain second mortgages. How does
one borrow additional money against an unowned asset?

You borrow against your equity -- the difference
between the current value of the house and what
you owe on the first mortgage.

Not necessarily.

But I think nowadays most loans are
made on "trust deeds", not "mortgages".

Wrong.

Under a trust deed, the borrower remains(*) the owner,

Just like they do with a mortgage too.

but the lender is a "trustee", with the power to sell
the house if the buyer breaks the loan contract.

Just like with mortgages too.

The lender obviously aint the owner because in
the absence of a default, they cannot do what
they like with the property they purportedly own.

Hence the buyer can take out a second
trust deed, using the same asset.

Or can have a second mortgage without that
producing anything different ownership wise.

A mortgage is a lien, not ownership.

(*) or becomes the owner, in the case where
the trust deed is used to buy the house.

Irrelevant to whether the mortgager owns the house
in the absence of a default. Of course they dont.

Charles Quinn July 17th 04 02:30 AM

Why buy a house?

In article , victor wrote:
Ok, ok, ok. My friends and family keep nagging at me to stop renting
and buy a house. I'm so sick of them droning on about points-this and
closing costs-that. But the more I think about, the less sense it seems
to make for me. Here's why:

1. "You'll save a fortune on taxes." True. But the property taxes
will pretty much cancel out any savings you got on the income taxes.

You pay for the property taxes in the rent, so no savings there, yes the
income tax break is overrated though.

2. "You're throwing rent money down the toilet." True. In all
likelihood, your mortgage payment will be twice your rent. By the time
you pay it off, you'll be drinking Ensure, wearing Depends, and too old
to maintain the house.

Paid off my place in 14 years 7 months. When I bought my interest rate was
9.5%, historic return on stock market is 10%. Let's see, guaranteed 9.5% or
risky 10%, yep extra cash went toward the guaranteed return. It is now nice to
be entering my peak earning years with NO payment.

3. "It's one of the few things you buy that appreciate in value."
Assuming that you find someone who is willing to pay your inflated
selling price. Assuming that the neighborhood doesn't go down the
tubes. Assuming that the new house you buy will end costing as much as
you think it's going to (not!). Too many assumptions.

Dr. Jerry Buss of the Lakers made millions on real estate. His motto, "prime
real estate is always prime real estate". Buy into the best area you can.

4. Maintenance. I'm lucky if I have time to clean my apartment, let
alone a house. I've worked customer service for plumbing, HVAC, and
home maintenance companies before, and I hear how much people pay for
this stuff. In an apartment, it's all FREE.

Againg the apratment is not free, the maintenance is figured into the price of
the rent. You could always get into a condo where they service the exterior.

In the end, I suppose it's a matter of personal preference. But I do
wish my home-owning friends would cut out the holier-than-thou attitude.

Your friends must be saints, they have you for a friend.

--

Charles
The significant problems we face cannot be solved

Steve July 17th 04 03:13 AM

Why buy a house?

People keep making the claim that renters don't actually save on
property taxes, etc, because all the landlord's expenses -
maintenance, taxes, mortgage, insurance, utilities - are built into
the rent. As if the landlord adds up all his expenses, tacks on
whatever profit he wants, then charges that amount as rent.

In fact, renters pay the going rental rates, which may have little
relation to a particular landlord's actual expenses. Some (many?)
landlords, particularly in the case of single-family houses, are not
covering all their expenses in the rent, much as they'd like to.
They're holding on, renting for as much as they can get, hoping to
make up the shortfall through appreciation somewhere down the road.

Bob Ward July 17th 04 03:37 AM

Why buy a house?

On Sat, 17 Jul 2004 08:24:54 +1000, "Rod Speed"
wrote:

Not necessarily on that last. Some just use rental property
as a way of getting a return on their investment and the
entire concept of 'profit' doesnt really enter into it.

They certainly need to achieve a surplus over
those costs, but thats not the same thing as profit.

Tell me, how does return on investment differ from profit?

Rod Speed July 17th 04 03:43 AM

Why buy a house?

Steve wrote in message

People keep making the claim that renters don't actually save
on property taxes, etc, because all the landlord's expenses -
maintenance, taxes, mortgage, insurance, utilities - are built into
the rent. As if the landlord adds up all his expenses, tacks on
whatever profit he wants, then charges that amount as rent.

While most dont do that, most do in fact decide if the market
rent available does provide what they consider to be an
adequate return after those expenses have been paid.

In fact, renters pay the going rental rates,

Its never that black and white.

which may have little relation to a particular landlord's actual expenses.

Wrong. In fact most wouldnt be renting propertys
out if the return wasnt what they consider to be
acceptible after those expenses.

Bull****. There arent many that arent at least covering their expenses.

They're holding on, renting for as much as they can get, hoping to
make up the shortfall through appreciation somewhere down the road.

Hardly any are actually operating like that. Rental property does provide
a decent return most of the time, which is why so many keep doing it.

And many consider its less risky than other investment alternatives,
and has a decent prospect of capital appreciation over time too.

Rod Speed July 17th 04 04:27 AM

Why buy a house?

Bob Ward wrote in message
Rod Speed wrote

Not necessarily on that last. Some just use rental property
as a way of getting a return on their investment and the
entire concept of 'profit' doesnt really enter into it.

They certainly need to achieve a surplus over
those costs, but thats not the same thing as profit.

Tell me, how does return on investment differ from profit?

You're too thick to be able to manage to comprehend it.

Inflation is relevant.

SHARX July 17th 04 04:28 AM

Why buy a house?

Barbara Bomberger wrote:
|| On Thu, 15 Jul 2004 18:18:04 GMT, "SHARX"
|| wrote:
||| WHY should a person buy a big a house as they can afford. We could
||| afford to buy a much larger, more expensive house but the one we
||| have meets our NEEDS. Get frugal, eh?
|| Frugal is buying a house that wil meet your long term needs
|| No one said expensive, no one said necessarily as much as you can
|| afford, I just said buy WHAT you can afford. Any other inference was
|| yours.
|| However, it would not be frugal to be a young couplle, know you were
|| planning on four kids, and buy a one or two bedroom house. It would
|| be shortsighted, to say the least. Better to get the kind of home
|| you want for the type of family you will want at the beginning.

Having 4 kids is NOT frugal and contributes DIRECTLY to overpopulation.
Think globally, act locally, eh? In fact having 4 kids is EXTREMELY selfish.

SHARX July 17th 04 04:36 AM

Bidet: was: Why buy a house?

Timm Simpkins wrote:
|| "SHARX" wrote in message
||| EXCUSE me!!! I DO live in Canada and anyone here in EDMONTON
||| without central air conditioning is a masochist. I, for one,
||| believe in controlling my environment, not vice versa.
|| I didn't say it was comfortable, only that it's much more common
|| than one might think. Also it matters what part of Canada you're
|| in. Just as the US, Canada has warmer and cooler areas.

High forecast tomorrow for Edmonton is plus 33 Celsius..about equal to 91
Fahrenheit. ANYTHING higher or lower than room temperature should be
adjusted to..ROOOM TEMPERATURE. My comfortable room temp. is about plus
21C...70 Fahrenheit. Therefore, ipso facto, I use a furnace or AC to change
reality to my liking. Get it?

SHARX July 17th 04 04:36 AM

Bidet: was: Why buy a house?

wrote:
|| On Fri, 16 Jul 2004 08:41:54 -0600, "Timm Simpkins"
|| wrote:
||| I didn't say it was comfortable, only that it's much more common
||| than one might think. Also it matters what part of Canada you're
||| in. Just as the US, Canada has warmer and cooler areas.
|| I guess that anyone who can read would have seen that he is located
|| in _Edmonton_ which I think is in Alberta.

Correctomundo. My Edmonton is in Alberta, not Kentucky or in England.

Rod Speed July 17th 04 05:04 AM

Why buy a house?

"SHARX" wrote in message news:F11Kc.59115$eO.53090@edtnps89...
Barbara Bomberger wrote:
|| On Thu, 15 Jul 2004 18:18:04 GMT, "SHARX"
|| wrote:
||| WHY should a person buy a big a house as they can afford. We could
||| afford to buy a much larger, more expensive house but the one we
||| have meets our NEEDS. Get frugal, eh?
|| Frugal is buying a house that wil meet your long term needs
|| No one said expensive, no one said necessarily as much as you can
|| afford, I just said buy WHAT you can afford. Any other inference was
|| yours.
|| However, it would not be frugal to be a young couplle, know you were
|| planning on four kids, and buy a one or two bedroom house. It would
|| be shortsighted, to say the least. Better to get the kind of home
|| you want for the type of family you will want at the beginning.

Having 4 kids is NOT frugal and contributes DIRECTLY to overpopulation.

Depends on how many you end up strangling, stupid.

Think globally, act locally, eh?

Get stuffed.

In fact having 4 kids is EXTREMELY selfish.

In your parent's case, just one was bad enough.

Timm Simpkins July 17th 04 05:25 AM

Bidet: was: Why buy a house?

wrote:

I didn't say it was comfortable, only that it's much more common than one
might think. Also it matters what part of Canada you're in. Just as the
US, Canada has warmer and cooler areas.

I guess that anyone who can read would have seen that he is located in
_Edmonton_ which I think is in Alberta.

Where he lives is not relevant to what I said.

Timm Simpkins July 17th 04 05:29 AM

Why buy a house?

wrote:

I think the fact that I have bought and sold over 27 million dollars

worth
of real estate and bought and kept over 8 million more on top of that in

the
last 11 years probably makes me somewhat of an expert. I have run across
generally unknown information one time in those 11 years that gave me the
upper hand you're speaking of while buying. I signed one contract within

2
weeks in the area and on the third week I found that every single

appraiser
in the area had found out about the proposed interstate exit.

Immediately I
found it impossible to find the deals I desired. Prices doubled and
tripled.

All of that, and you STILL don't understand the law?

What's the law got to do with anything I've been talking about?

Timm Simpkins July 17th 04 05:31 AM

Why buy a house?

"Rod Speed" wrote in message

wrote in message

You say I'm wrong, and that what I post is crap, show me
how I'm wrong. I'll definitely take you to school on this issue.
I know real estate, and you clearly haven't owned anything
more expensive than your collection of used butt plugs.

Hahahahaha!!

I like that one Timm

So much for your puerile posturing about
'Come on. You people "were" better than this'

Just another pathetic hypocrite.

It has to do with putting people in their place when they show their
"puerile" nature. You've shown you don't deserve anything better.

So, why don't you take your puerile self and place it in your puerile
puerile infested puerile puerile and shove it up your puerile you puerile
puerile?

Rod Speed July 17th 04 05:35 AM

Why buy a house?

Timm Simpkins wrote in
message ...
Rod Speed wrote
wrote

You say I'm wrong, and that what I post is crap, show me
how I'm wrong. I'll definitely take you to school on this issue.
I know real estate, and you clearly haven't owned anything
more expensive than your collection of used butt plugs.

Hahahahaha!!

I like that one Timm

So much for your puerile posturing about
'Come on. You people "were" better than this'

Just another pathetic hypocrite.

It has to do with putting people in their
place when they show their "puerile" nature.

Pity that flagrant hypocrite tried claiming that it never did anything like that.

Timm Simpkins July 17th 04 05:44 AM

Why buy a house?

Barbara Bomberger wrote:
|| On Thu, 15 Jul 2004 18:18:04 GMT, "SHARX"
|| wrote:
||| WHY should a person buy a big a house as they can afford. We could
||| afford to buy a much larger, more expensive house but the one we
||| have meets our NEEDS. Get frugal, eh?
|| Frugal is buying a house that wil meet your long term needs
|| No one said expensive, no one said necessarily as much as you can
|| afford, I just said buy WHAT you can afford. Any other inference was
|| yours.
|| However, it would not be frugal to be a young couplle, know you were
|| planning on four kids, and buy a one or two bedroom house. It would
|| be shortsighted, to say the least. Better to get the kind of home
|| you want for the type of family you will want at the beginning.

Having 4 kids is NOT frugal and contributes DIRECTLY to overpopulation.

Overpopulation is pure rubbish. I'm not saying that this is preferable, but
it is possible to fit the entire population of the world inside the state of
Texas if the population density was the same as Mexico City's.

If you've ever been on an airplane and looked down, you would know that
there are actually very few areas that are populated, at least in the US,
and there is even more open land in Canada.