Home Ownership (misc.consumers.house)

Fat Bastard

Default Convert a built-in dishwasher to a portable?

Hi All,

anyone know how I can do this? I'd like to convert a built-in
dishwasher to a portable one - my brother gave me his 1998 Maytag but I
can't set up a built-in in my apartment. I've heard of portable to
built-in conversion kits so there must be one for the reverse!

I'm pretty handy so an enclosure isn't a big problem - I can hit the
Home Depot and attach some wood panels. It's the connections I'm
concerned about - anthing I need to know regarding power and the water
flow?

thanks for any help on this :-)

mike
Fat Bastard

thanks for the info.... sounds like a lot of trouble. I wonder how much
it would be worth to sell? Actually, do you or anybody know if stores
have trade-ins? Maybe I could trade this in for a portable model at
Sears or something?

In article , David W.
wrote:

Fat ******* wrote in news:220320041755075786%
:

Hi All,

anyone know how I can do this? I'd like to convert a built-in
dishwasher to a portable one - my brother gave me his 1998 Maytag but I
can't set up a built-in in my apartment. I've heard of portable to
built-in conversion kits so there must be one for the reverse!

I'm pretty handy so an enclosure isn't a big problem - I can hit the
Home Depot and attach some wood panels. It's the connections I'm
concerned about - anthing I need to know regarding power and the water
flow?

Water, electric and waste are typicall all connected at the bottom of the
DW. Use a heavy duty grounded cord for the electric. A flexible drain hose
should do the trick for waste. For supply water, you'll have to decide
where you want to hook up. Typically portables came with a threaded
attachment for the kitchen sink faucet, so you'll probably need to find
something like that, plus a matching end for the suppply hose. Take a look
at the DW install kits at HD. You may want to find a way to anchor the
hoses/power cord on the back of the DW to keep them from flopping arount
too much.

BTW, the biggest problem you'll probably face is noise. Built-in DWs count
on the cabinetry for a lot of sound insulation. Even with wood panels
around the sides and back, the bottom will still be open, and you'll get
quite a lot of noise from it.

Dishwasher Drain Greg Home Repair 2 June 8th 04 11:54 AM
Dishwasher stopped working mid-cycle Kamal Home Ownership 3 December 23rd 03 02:08 PM
Built in cooker advice required [email protected] UK diy 3 November 21st 03 05:01 PM
Dishwasher Install Michael Roback Home Ownership 2 November 10th 03 09:00 PM