DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Ceramic tile over ceramic tile (https://www.diybanter.com/home-ownership/61737-ceramic-tile-over-ceramic-tile.html)

Don November 22nd 03 02:04 AM

Ceramic tile over ceramic tile

I have an entry way/kitchen area with ceramic tile that is about 25
years old. Tile is on concrete and is in perfect shape, other than
being really ugly.

I have read in two tile books that if your tile is in good shape, that
you can tile over it with the right preparation. The current tiles are
8"x8" and I want to lay 16"x16".

The reason I question what I have read is because two neighbors that
have had pros do their tile both removed the original tile. I do know
that one had a history of cracks and is on their 3rd floor. Could it
also be that the contractors simply want to creat a larger job for
themselves?

Any thoughts on tile over tile/concrete if the original is in great
shape and I'll be using larger tiles - ie crossing over 4 tiles.

Thanks for your thoughts,
Don

Depaulbay November 23rd 03 06:34 AM

Ceramic tile over ceramic tile

Subject: Ceramic tile over ceramic tile
From: (Don)
Date: 11/21/2003 9:04 PM Central Daylight Time
I have an entry way/kitchen area with ceramic tile that is about 25
years old. Tile is on concrete and is in perfect shape, other than
being really ugly.

I have read in two tile books that if your tile is in good shape, that
you can tile over it with the right preparation. The current tiles are
8"x8" and I want to lay 16"x16".

The reason I question what I have read is because two neighbors that
have had pros do their tile both removed the original tile. I do know
that one had a history of cracks and is on their 3rd floor. Could it
also be that the contractors simply want to creat a larger job for
themselves?

Any thoughts on tile over tile/concrete if the original is in great
shape and I'll be using larger tiles - ie crossing over 4 tiles.

Thanks for your thoughts,
Don

As you say the persons tile was cracked , what moran contractor would want to

lay tile over cracked ceramic.
the sec person could have a number of possibilitys such as wrong

underlayment ,, height situations ect.. If your exsisting tile is in good
shape well adhered you can lay the tile . give th old tile a tooth for the
morter to adhere to, by lightly sanding the clean old tile