DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Water lines & meter: Why don't they freeze?? (https://www.diybanter.com/home-ownership/61423-water-lines-meter-why-dont-they-freeze.html)

david October 9th 03 02:41 PM

Water lines & meter: Why don't they freeze??

In our area (northern West Virginia), municipal water companies
install water meters in the ground in a plastic sleeve or pit. The
sleeve is about 18 inches in diameter and 24 inches deep. When the
water meter and water lines are installed in the pit, the water lines
are about 14 inches below ground level. There is no filling or
insulation placed into this pit, just an air space abouve the meter
and water lines and a metal cover on top of the pit. In our area we
typically bury water lines 18 inches to avoid freezing in severe
winters.
So - why doesn't the meter and/or water lines in the pit freeze in the
winter is there is just air in the pit - no insulation - and the lines
are so close to ground level? What principle am I not understanding??

WasteNotWantNot October 10th 03 12:46 AM

(david) wrote in message . com...
In our area (northern West Virginia), municipal water companies
install water meters in the ground in a plastic sleeve or pit. The
sleeve is about 18 inches in diameter and 24 inches deep. When the
water meter and water lines are installed in the pit, the water lines
are about 14 inches below ground level. There is no filling or
insulation placed into this pit, just an air space abouve the meter
and water lines and a metal cover on top of the pit. In our area we
typically bury water lines 18 inches to avoid freezing in severe
winters.
So - why doesn't the meter and/or water lines in the pit freeze in the
winter is there is just air in the pit - no insulation - and the lines
are so close to ground level? What principle am I not understanding??

Apparently it doesn't get that cold there. And even a trickle of water
usage would prevent freezing. Here in Michigan I can tell you first
hand that a meter and the incoming line in a basement can freeze and
break if not protected. But our frost line is more like 42" instead of
18".

Dave C. October 10th 03 12:58 AM

Water lines & meter: Why don't they freeze??

"david" dymm201 wrote in message
om...
In our area (northern West Virginia), municipal water companies
install water meters in the ground in a plastic sleeve or pit. The
sleeve is about 18 inches in diameter and 24 inches deep. When the
water meter and water lines are installed in the pit, the water lines
are about 14 inches below ground level. There is no filling or
insulation placed into this pit, just an air space abouve the meter
and water lines and a metal cover on top of the pit. In our area we
typically bury water lines 18 inches to avoid freezing in severe
winters.
So - why doesn't the meter and/or water lines in the pit freeze in the
winter is there is just air in the pit - no insulation - and the lines
are so close to ground level? What principle am I not understanding??

Air itself is a great insulator. That's why there are often spaces of it
between double or triple paned windows. -Dave

Gary Slusser October 10th 03 03:26 AM

Water lines & meter: Why don't they freeze??

"david" wrote
In our area (northern West Virginia), municipal water companies
install water meters in the ground in a plastic sleeve or pit. The
sleeve is about 18 inches in diameter and 24 inches deep. When the
water meter and water lines are installed in the pit, the water lines
are about 14 inches below ground level. There is no filling or
insulation placed into this pit, just an air space abouve the meter
and water lines and a metal cover on top of the pit. In our area we
typically bury water lines 18 inches to avoid freezing in severe
winters.
So - why doesn't the meter and/or water lines in the pit freeze in the
winter is there is just air in the pit - no insulation - and the lines
are so close to ground level? What principle am I not understanding??

I'll guess it's due to air not freezing and heat rises.