DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Advice on roof flashing for stucco house (https://www.diybanter.com/home-ownership/61096-advice-roof-flashing-stucco-house.html)

Quinn September 3rd 03 12:56 AM

Advice on roof flashing for stucco house

We recently had our stucco house re-roofed. There are two locations where a
porch-like roof attaches to the side of the stucco house. These sloped
roofs go into a groove cut in the stucco and there is a substantial gap
above where the sloped roof goes into the groove. The roofer did not use
any metal flashing on this joint. Instead they shingled the sloped roof as
close to the stucco siding as they could and filled the gap with lots
silicone sealant.

Is this considered good practice?

Thank you,
Tom

Ed September 8th 03 02:05 AM

Advice on roof flashing for stucco house

It's standard practice with our company.
Was there a metal flashing there with the first roof?
You could have asked them to rip the top row and reuse the metal
flashing.That would leave a bump though.
Putting new metal in would be a lot harder. (which is why areas like yours
are shingled and flashed before the stucco goes on.)