Home Ownership (misc.consumers.house)

jeffc

Default Benjamin Moore paint types

"Mani Varadarajan" wrote in message

I'm about set to have most of the walls in my house
painted and I've decided on Benjamin Moore paint.
I understand BM just came out with a Matte Enamel
paint, a latex paint that is flat but with excellent
scrubbability. It is however about 25% more expensive
than their other stuff.

I have a two-year old daughter who enjoys writing
on walls so washability is a concern for me.

Even though it is more "scrubbable", it doesn't change the fact that it's
flat. Paradoxically, at the microscopic level, flat paint is definitely not
flat (it's rough), and glossier paints are flat (smooth). That's why
glossier paints are easier to clean - they are smooth, whereas flat paint
has little nooks and crannies for dirt to get in. Even if it is more
scrubbable than regular flat paint, it will still collect more dirt, crayon,
etc. than smoother, glossier paints. Definitely a satin paint would be
better IMO.

2. Which is generally preferred by decorators,
eggshell or latex for general living areas in the
house?

Eggshell and latex are apples and oranges. Do you mean eggshell or
flat/matte? There is latex flat/matte, latex eggshell, latex semi-gloss,
etc. Personally, I prefer the look of flat paint. I don't like shiny paint
on anything except trim. Unlike others, I think there is a definite
difference in shine between flat and eggshell, but this is personal
preference. In certain areas though I think enamel (glossier) paints do
look OK.

3. Generally, what is considered the highest quality
in the BM line? Is it the "Regal" stuff?

I believe so. However, don't listen to anyone who says Company X paint is
the best, and Company Y paint is lousy. It all comes down to actual
product, not the manufacturer. I can tell you that Sherwin Williams Super
Paint is very good paint, while Sherwin Williams Style Perfect is not good
paint. It is a similar situation with other manufacturers. Certainly SW
Super Paint is better than BM Super Craft, and BM Regal is better than SW
Style Perfect.

Clark W. Griswold, Jr.

"jeffc" wrote:

Personally, I prefer the look of flat paint. I don't like shiny paint
on anything except trim.

Semi gloss on bathroom walls is useful - helps prevent moisture from soaking
into the walls.