DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Change ceiling outlet pull switch to wall switch? (https://www.diybanter.com/home-ownership/59276-change-ceiling-outlet-pull-switch-wall-switch.html)

Space Cowboy June 30th 03 06:24 PM

Change ceiling outlet pull switch to wall switch?

Hi All,

I hope this is the right group for this question. I have a ceiling
outlet with a pull switch. I want to replace this switch with one
mounted on a wall. The outlet does not continue so it terminates with
white(neutral)/black(hot) circuit pair plus a ground wire. All I can
do conventiently is mount the switch box and run a pair of
white/black/+ground wires back to the ceiling outlet. Now comes the
NEC question. At the outlet it looks like to me I wirenut the circuit
black to the switch white which would leave me with a switch black and
circuit white for the outlet fixture? At the switch itself I wire the
white to the off pole and the black to the on pole? The light fixture
requires a ground connection. I wire the circuit ground and the
outlet switch ground to the fixture and the ground in the switch box
to the switch?

Thanks,
Jim

Space Cowboy June 30th 03 10:56 PM

Change ceiling outlet pull switch to wall switch?

You made me RTFM. As it turns out I am precisely right using New 37th
Edition Wiring Simplified by Richter and Schwan based on 1993 NEC.
Page 92 "At the outlet connect the black wire from SOURCE to the white
wire of the cable that runs to switch; this is contrary to the general
rule, but permitted by the Code's exception. This is the only case
where a white wire may be connected to a black". My other black/white
connections are also correct. However the book isn't clear if the
switch loop requires a ground connection. If so then what to what?
If not then I simply use the existing circuit ground for the fixture.

Jim

Bill Seurer Bill_AT_seurer.net wrote in message ...
Space Cowboy wrote:
At the outlet it looks like to me I wirenut the circuit
black to the switch white ...

This is wrong. Please get help with this so you don't electrocute
someone. For instance, there are many fine books that explain how to
wire a switch to a light.

ameijers June 30th 03 11:27 PM

Change ceiling outlet pull switch to wall switch?

"Space Cowboy" wrote in message
om...
You made me RTFM. As it turns out I am precisely right using New 37th
Edition Wiring Simplified by Richter and Schwan based on 1993 NEC.
Page 92 "At the outlet connect the black wire from SOURCE to the white
wire of the cable that runs to switch; this is contrary to the general
rule, but permitted by the Code's exception. This is the only case
where a white wire may be connected to a black". My other black/white
connections are also correct. However the book isn't clear if the
switch loop requires a ground connection. If so then what to what?
If not then I simply use the existing circuit ground for the fixture.

Jim

NICE electricians take a black marker and color the end of the white wire,
on both ends, so the poor SOB 20 years later has some clue what is going
on.

aem sends...

David W. July 1st 03 03:08 AM

Change ceiling outlet pull switch to wall switch?

(Space Cowboy) wrote in
om:

You made me RTFM. As it turns out I am precisely right using New 37th
Edition Wiring Simplified by Richter and Schwan based on 1993 NEC.
Page 92 "At the outlet connect the black wire from SOURCE to the white
wire of the cable that runs to switch; this is contrary to the general
rule, but permitted by the Code's exception. This is the only case
where a white wire may be connected to a black". My other black/white
connections are also correct. However the book isn't clear if the
switch loop requires a ground connection. If so then what to what?
If not then I simply use the existing circuit ground for the fixture.

Make sure you check out local codes, they're often stricter than the NEC.

In my area, the ground wire is connected to the (metal) box, then pigtailed
to the switch and the light. With plastic boxes, you obviously don't
connect the ground to the box, just the devices.

Space Cowboy July 1st 03 02:30 PM

"ameijers" wrote in message ...
[...]

Great suggestion! since I'll be the SOB in only 2 years who'll forget.

Thanks,
Jim