DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Table Saw Blade Question (https://www.diybanter.com/home-ownership/592245-table-saw-blade-question.html)

Bob[_44_] June 21st 17 01:18 PM

Table Saw Blade Question

Hello,

Curious as to why my 8" rotary table saw blade has 3 notches cut in the
periphery.

They go down toward the center perhaps 30 % or so of the radius.

Any idea why they put these notches / slots into the blade ?

B.

Bob F June 21st 17 09:49 PM

Table Saw Blade Question

On 6/21/2017 5:18 AM, Bob wrote:
Hello,

Curious as to why my 8" rotary table saw blade has 3 notches cut in the
periphery.

They go down toward the center perhaps 30 % or so of the radius.

Any idea why they put these notches / slots into the blade ?

B.

Perhaps to allow for expansion when hot without warping?

tim June 23rd 17 12:03 AM

Table Saw Blade Question

Bob F wrote in :

On 6/21/2017 5:18 AM, Bob wrote:
Hello,

Curious as to why my 8" rotary table saw blade has 3 notches cut in the
periphery.

They go down toward the center perhaps 30 % or so of the radius.

Any idea why they put these notches / slots into the blade ?

B.

Perhaps to allow for expansion when hot without warping?

Exactly. If they were not there when the blade heated up, especially when
cutting hardwood, the blade would warp, causing it to at a minimum cut a
wider kerf, and possibly collide with the sides of the blade slot. The
notches allow the major portion of the blade to be broken up into segments,
and eac segment is able to expand as necessary without warping the blade.

If you want to see for yourself how hot a blade can get, cut some scrap
hardwood or plywood for a few minutes, turn the saw off, and once the blade
stops spinning touch it and see how warm it is. Expand that to maybe ten or
fifteen minutes at a time of cutting and you can extrapolate how hot it
would get.