Home Ownership (misc.consumers.house)

Old October 19th 10, 02:32 PM posted to alt.home.cleaning,sci.chem,misc.consumers.house

Default Borax -vs- Sodium Percarbonate?

If you're looking for a laundry powder additive with antifungal and
antibacterial properties, how does Borax (sodium borate decahydrate)
compare to products containing sodium percarbonate?

Old October 19th 10, 04:11 PM posted to alt.home.cleaning,sci.chem,misc.consumers.house

In article , Gas Bag wrote:
If you're looking for a laundry powder additive with antifungal and
antibacterial properties, how does Borax (sodium borate decahydrate)
compare to products containing sodium percarbonate?

I think the later would be better.

I would bet on Clorox.
Certain powders may have better long lasting effect, but
it might irritate.

greg
Old October 19th 10, 04:50 PM posted to alt.home.cleaning,sci.chem,misc.consumers.house

In article
,
Gas Bag wrote:

If you're looking for a laundry powder additive with antifungal and
antibacterial properties, how does Borax (sodium borate decahydrate)
compare to products containing sodium percarbonate?

I do not have answers. But I do have questions.

As I read about this chemical, I think potassium percarbonate may be
useful for hydroponics. It seems like it could be useful for sterilizing
growing media and containers. At the same time, instead of contaminating
the containers with sodium, it could provide potassium as a plant
nutrient.

Does anyone have comments on this.

Bill

--
An old man would be better off never having been born.
Old October 19th 10, 09:27 PM posted to alt.home.cleaning,sci.chem,misc.consumers.house

On Oct 19, 5:32*am, Gas Bag wrote:
If you're looking for a laundry powder additive with antifungal and
antibacterial properties, how does Borax (sodium borate decahydrate)
compare to products containing sodium percarbonate?

Where we live, our towels tend to stink after a couple of days in the
laundry hamper in summer, and it doesn't go away with washing. About
every two months, we add about 1/4 cup bleach to the wash water. Mix
in a bucket first. It's too little to harm the colors, but knocks out
the fungi that cause the smell. The towels will then go several
washings before fungi build up again.

DB
Old October 20th 10, 01:15 AM posted to alt.home.cleaning,sci.chem,misc.consumers.house

Nestor Kelebay wrote:

I don't know anything about the sodium percarbonate you mentioned.

I use sodium percarbonate to bleach - it's especially good for nappies,
soaked overnight in a bucket they come up fresh, clean and white plus it's
not too harsh on the material.

Old October 20th 10, 09:16 AM posted to alt.home.cleaning,sci.chem,misc.consumers.house

It's probably best I rephrase my original post.
If I'm looking for a strictly non-bleaching laundry additive that has
strong antifungal and antibacterial properties, which is the better of
the following?

Borax (sodium borate decahydrate)
or
Products containing sodium percarbonate?

I know bleach is the best, but I'm looking for something that can be
used with various coloured fabrics.
Old October 20th 10, 06:00 PM posted to alt.home.cleaning,sci.chem,misc.consumers.house

Gas Bag wrote:
It's probably best I rephrase my original post.
If I'm looking for a strictly non-bleaching laundry additive that has
strong antifungal and antibacterial properties, which is the better of
the following?

Borax (sodium borate decahydrate)
or
Products containing sodium percarbonate?

I know bleach is the best, but I'm looking for something that can be
used with various coloured fabrics.

I am not really with you on this one dear, Sodium percarbonate IS a bleach,
an oxygen one and it is safe to use on coloureds or at least, safer than
chlorine type bleach.
I have an antibacterial wash on my machine, I use it once a month.

Old October 20th 10, 09:11 PM posted to alt.home.cleaning,sci.chem,misc.consumers.house

On 20/10/2010 08:16, Gas Bag wrote:
It's probably best I rephrase my original post.
If I'm looking for a strictly non-bleaching laundry additive that has
strong antifungal and antibacterial properties, which is the better of
the following?

Borax (sodium borate decahydrate)
or
Products containing sodium percarbonate?

How about we start again and you describe the problem that you are
actually trying to solve?

I know bleach is the best, but I'm looking for something that can be
used with various coloured fabrics.

Peroxide generators are just another form of non-chlorine bleach.
Slightly less inclined to destroy fabrics but colours might or might not
survive unscathed.

Regards,
Martin Brown
Old October 21st 10, 02:04 AM posted to alt.home.cleaning,sci.chem,misc.consumers.house

I'm looking to add a laundry additive to my laundry washing load that
has the most powerful antifungal and antibacterial properties
available. I won't be washing just white fabrics (but a range of
colours), so a non-chlorine, non-whitening additive is what's needed.
I have used products containing sodium percarbonate, but have not
tried Borax (sodium borate decahydrate). This is why I want to find
out how they compare. The main point is I am trying to find out what
specific chemical compounds are most effective, rather than off-the-
shelf products, because I'm quite likely going to buy the active
ingredients themselves (as this is much much more cost effective -
this is a priority).

As an aside, I'v found that most laundry washing powders/detergents
all "generally" do a good job at cleaning and removing stains.....but
killing bacteria, and particularly fungus, is another matter
entirely. Yes, I do hang all my clothes inside-out, and in the sun.
Old October 21st 10, 09:08 AM posted to alt.home.cleaning,sci.chem,misc.consumers.house

On 21/10/2010 01:04, Gas Bag wrote:
I'm looking to add a laundry additive to my laundry washing load that
has the most powerful antifungal and antibacterial properties
available.

You will almost certainly not be able to buy pure chemicals of this type
unless you are a registered business and if you could it would present
handling difficulties at home.

As an aside, I'v found that most laundry washing powders/detergents
all "generally" do a good job at cleaning and removing stains.....but
killing bacteria, and particularly fungus, is another matter
entirely. Yes, I do hang all my clothes inside-out, and in the sun.

What on earth are you doing wrong that fungus is such a problem?

Regards,
Martin Brown

Sodium Thiosulphate ? Usenet Nutter UK diy 20 January 3rd 10 03:04 PM
Sodium Chlorate ban jim UK diy 33 April 11th 09 09:53 PM
does Borax kill trees? Gary E. Home Repair 4 August 6th 07 09:06 AM
Borax for household drains IAN Home Repair 4 October 13th 04 08:45 PM
Sodium Lighting Tony UK diy 2 July 5th 03 03:25 PM