Home Ownership (misc.consumers.house)

Posted to misc.consumers.house

Default Need to buy new windows for home

I am looking to replace my windows in my bedrooms. Right now, it looks like there is the original
aluminum window on the inside and on the outside, it looks like a white vinyl window was installed,
almost like a cap that has sliding windows on it. Please look at the pics and see if you can make
heads or tales of what I got.

Interior pics:

http://i231.photobucket.com/albums/e...nterior1-1.jpg

http://i231.photobucket.com/albums/e.../interior2.jpg

http://i231.photobucket.com/albums/e.../interior3.jpg

Exterior pic:

http://i231.photobucket.com/albums/e...3/exterior.jpg

I was going to buy replacement windows but my friend said new construction windows are better. If I
were to get new construction windows, my he said to get it a little bigger. But, what does that
mean? How much bigger? If I want to keep the existing j-channel siding trim, is it possible to get
the exact size for the new construction windows?

My window sizes are as follows (this is the exact interior measuremnets from side to side:

46" (w) x 39 1/2" (h)
34" (w) x 39 1/2" (h)

Thanks

Tony
Posted to misc.consumers.house

In article , wrote:
[...]

I think new construction windows have a lip, which will make it more difficult to
install. It looks pretty simple. The best way is to rip one window out
so you can see the exact demensions needed. Just order them
and give the exact cutout size and make sure its 1/4 inch smaller measuring
the replacement assembly. You may need a small amount of
fill, be it wood , aluminum, or vinal. Always stuff spaces with insulation.
Shop around.

greg

Posted to misc.consumers.house

On Fri, 23 Oct 2009 13:27:38 GMT, (GregS) wrote:

In article ,
wrote:
[...]

Thanks for the reply Greg. If I remove the entire window, what do I do while I wait the 7-10 days
for the new ones? Do I put it back, board it up, ???

Tony
Posted to misc.consumers.house

On Thu, 22 Oct 2009 21:00:40 -0400, Tony
wrote:

[...]

Back in 2006, I had all of the windows in the entire house (8)
replaced by Window World. I beleive they are nationwide. They were
MUCH cheaper than any of the other estimates we got and as of today, I
have no complaints.
Posted to misc.consumers.house

wrote:

[...]

Did you get replacement windows or new construction. I have a total of 3 windows (2 bedroom and 1
kitchen). I can get the three windows from Home Depot (American Craftsman, made by Anderson) and it
is the mid level windows. Total cost would be about $500. What did you pay? I am not even looking to
spend $1000. That is too much. I hate our house and it is valued lower than I what I paid for it 5
years ago. I want to get out ASAP and just want to get better insulation and keep the cold and noise
out.

Tony

Posted to misc.consumers.house

wrote:

[...]

Hi Tony,

To start with, I live in Florida. Here if your put in new windows, you
also have to get some sort of hurricane shutters. It's the law. So the
price I paid for my windows is probably going to be higher than for
you. Total cost was around $5500. That included the windows, hurricane
shutters, and installation. Because the price was so low compared to
others, I would say they are replacement windows. But yet since they
are manufactured by Window World, I'm not so sure. The windows are
vinyl, double paned, with some sort of gas (I beleive it's argon) in
between the panes, and come with screens and a lifetime guarantee. My
windows are various sizes, depending on which room you are in. You can
have a sales rep come out and he'll show you a small sample of the
window and explain everything about it. No, I am not affiliated with
Window World. I'm just telling you this from my personal experience.

Anderson windows are damned good windows from what I have heard. If
you can get 3 windows at that size for $500 and install them yourself,
I'd go for it.
Posted to misc.consumers.house

wrote:

[...]

New construction windows will have a 2-3" mounting tab around the
window. The mounting tab is nailed through the sheathing into the
frame members from the outside so they'll be impossible to install
without removing or cutting the siding back to accommodate the
mounting tab. Replacement windows mount to the frame members from the
window opening so there is no need to disturb the siding.

In your last picture you can see this tab and nails between the
J-channel and the window (siding wasn't installed very well). Think
about how you would get the window out without cutting the tab or
disturbing the siding. No do the reverse to install the new one.
....you can't. ;-)

New construction windows generally don't come in exact sizes since the
window openings are generally sized for the windows to be used.
Replacement do come in sizes to order since the deed has already been
done.

My window sizes are as follows (this is the exact interior measuremnets from side to side:

46" (w) x 39 1/2" (h)
34" (w) x 39 1/2" (h)

You need to measure the rough opening, from stud to stud. You really
don't need to remove the window until the new ones come but you're
going to have to open the interior wall up enough to get at the rough
opening to measure it. Take several measurements of each opening
(thins are rarely plumb, square, and straight). Buy the windows
somewhat (see instructions) smaller than the smallest measurement
(again, see instructions).

Posted to misc.consumers.house

wrote:

[...]

Seeing the stud is the key. To do this on my house I had
to remove a lot for the bricked home. I did not have to remove the window
to see the stud. Just the outer storm window.

I replaced about 9 windows last year for about $1500 plus some materials.
Plus 40 hours labor on my part. Most of the windows were on sale
for about $120 each sold at local Busy Beaver, made by a Certain Teed company.
Two sliders coast a bit more than the standards.

greg