Home Ownership (misc.consumers.house)

Posted to misc.consumers.house

Default Running electric upstairs

A friend of mine needs to run electric upstairs but he's in an old house and
fishing wires is problematic. Any ideas on the best way to do it without
building a chase inside to house wiring??

Posted to misc.consumers.house

In article , Michael English wrote:
A friend of mine needs to run electric upstairs but he's in an old house and
fishing wires is problematic. Any ideas on the best way to do it without
building a chase inside to house wiring??

When I've needed to do that, I've installed a large conduit inside a closet,
in one of the *front* corners, where it can't be seen unless you stick your
head inside the closet and turn to look.

--
Regards,

Posted to misc.consumers.house

This is something which comes with experience, knowledge of construction,
and the specific construction of the house.

-Depends on local wiring codes.

-Depends on if your friend minds having exposed wiring/conduits (inside or
outside). Or if he wants all wiring concealed no matter what the cost.

In my case I want the wiring concealed, so I rip apart walls if necessary. I
also know how to do drywall, so no big deal for me to rip apart a wall, run
the wiring, then replace the drywall.

Other people may want the wire(s) run for the lowest cost. The least
expensive may be to run a conduit outside from 1st floor/basement to 2nd
floor/attic.

Sometimes you can drill holes in walls from the basement or attic and fish
wires through the wall without needing to cut the wall open.

Or maybe run a conduit from 1st floor to 2nd floor inside of a closet.

All sorts of possibilities!

Might want to call a couple of electricians and get estimates. May not be
that expensive. These guys can do all of the above.

"Michael English" wrote in message
A friend of mine needs to run electric upstairs but he's in an old house
and
fishing wires is problematic. Any ideas on the best way to do it without
building a chase inside to house wiring??

Posted to misc.consumers.house
KLS KLS is offline

On Fri, 29 Jun 2007 08:18:55 -0700, "Bill"
wrote:

In my case I want the wiring concealed, so I rip apart walls if necessary. I
also know how to do drywall, so no big deal for me to rip apart a wall, run
the wiring, then replace the drywall.

Would you be so eager to rip apart walls if they were plaster and
lath?
Posted to misc.consumers.house

wrote:

In my case I want the wiring concealed, so I rip apart walls if necessary. I
also know how to do drywall, so no big deal for me to rip apart a wall, run
the wiring, then replace the drywall.

Would you be so eager to rip apart walls if they were plaster and
lath?

Back on the farm, we would run all the wiring in our buildings
on the surface. You can buy stapes for romex that allows you
to route wire along 2x4's and floor joists, so I would think that
you could run wire just about anywhere that you need it. There
is a whole line of surface mount electrical components made for
places like sheds and barns that you could use in your house.
For example, they make surface mount switches and light sockets.
That shouldn't be that big of a project in a house, as long as
you run the wire where it will not get beat up or chewed on by
the dog.

-john-

John A. Weeks III 952-432-2708
Newave Communications
http://www.johnweeks.com

Posted to misc.consumers.house
KLS KLS is offline

On Fri, 29 Jun 2007 19:07:44 -0500, "John A. Weeks III"
wrote:

wrote:

[...]

This is exactly what I do in most cases, using raceway, since I really
don't want to destroy my plaster/lath walls.
Posted to misc.consumers.house

Would you be so eager to rip apart walls if they were plaster and
lath?

If it were my home and I was rewiring it, I would want the wires to be
concealed. And I would want to do it right and to code. So no problem
tearing apart the walls if it was needed. I've never been afraid of work.
But that is me.

Also note that I have a lot of other wires for TV, Satellite, Stereo,
Computer, etc. So it is going to look really tacky to run all these exposed.

Running electric cable in concrete floor Broadback UK diy 8 February 18th 07 03:55 PM
Running Electric, Phone and Television lines Zaphod Home Repair 17 April 1st 06 11:21 PM
Running electric... MB Home Repair 14 March 8th 06 09:20 PM
running electric cable Neil UK diy 4 September 18th 05 01:46 PM
Running Electric wire in boxed off water pipes - Allowed Shabs UK diy 1 April 15th 05 09:58 PM