DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Water dispenser leak in new fridge - Normal? (https://www.diybanter.com/home-ownership/199511-water-dispenser-leak-new-fridge-normal.html)

R Kannan May 1st 07 10:57 PM

Water dispenser leak in new fridge - Normal?

Hi,

We had a new Whirlpool side-by-side fridge with ice/water dispenser
delivered to our home yesterday. When I connected the water supply, I found
that the water dispenser was leaking after using. I shutoff the water
supply. When I called the whirlpool hotline, the operator said that this is
normal in a new fridge because of air bubbles. She wanted the water to flow
through for at least 3 mins before checking for leaks? Any truth to this
statement?

TIA for any help

John Weiss May 2nd 07 12:43 AM

Water dispenser leak in new fridge - Normal?

"R Kannan" wrote...

When I called the whirlpool hotline, the operator said that this is
normal in a new fridge because of air bubbles. She wanted the water to flow
through for at least 3 mins before checking for leaks? Any truth to this
statement?

Never heard that one before! Air bubbles should not cause leaks!

[email protected] May 2nd 07 04:02 AM

On May 1, 2:57 pm, R Kannan wrote:
Hi,

We had a new Whirlpool side-by-side fridge with ice/water dispenser
delivered to our home yesterday. When I connected the water supply, I found
that the water dispenser was leaking after using. I shutoff the water
supply. When I called the whirlpool hotline, the operator said that this is
normal in a new fridge because of air bubbles. She wanted the water to flow
through for at least 3 mins before checking for leaks? Any truth to this
statement?

TIA for any help

Wait three minutes. Call them back.

R Kannan May 2nd 07 10:54 PM

wrote:

On May 1, 2:57 pm, R Kannan wrote:
Hi,

We had a new Whirlpool side-by-side fridge with ice/water dispenser
delivered to our home yesterday. When I connected the water supply, I
found that the water dispenser was leaking after using. I shutoff the
water supply. When I called the whirlpool hotline, the operator said that
this is normal in a new fridge because of air bubbles. She wanted the
water to flow through for at least 3 mins before checking for leaks? Any
truth to this statement?

TIA for any help

Wait three minutes. Call them back.

Apparently the dispenser was sticky. After using it a couple of times and
draining some water through the system, it is fine now,

Bob Rahe May 3rd 07 01:33 PM

Water dispenser leak in new fridge - Normal?

In article ,
John Weiss jrweiss98155nospamatnospamcomcastdotnospamnet wrote:
"R Kannan" wrote...

When I called the whirlpool hotline, the operator said that this is
normal in a new fridge because of air bubbles. She wanted the water to flow
through for at least 3 mins before checking for leaks? Any truth to this
statement?

Never heard that one before! Air bubbles should not cause leaks!

Well, it probably isn't 'leaking' per-se, it's probably just not shutting
off. I've seen this problem on my Kenmore with the kickplate front-mounted
water filter. When I change the filter I have to run a quart or two of
water thru the in-door dispenser before it will shut off completely. May
have something to do with design of the valve (it's not actually in the door
it's at the back of the fridge) and pressure/air issues as the filter
refills...

It was a mess the first time until I realized what was happening...

HTH,

Bob