Home Ownership (misc.consumers.house)

Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house

Default Faulty burner in Kitchenaid range

This is a Kitchenaid flat (glass) top electric range, model KESH307...

The left front burner, which is actually a dual burner, has stopped
working - it turns on but puts out very little heat. At first I
suspected a faulty element, but I removed the glass and the element
looks fine. The outer element measures 37 ohms and the inner one
measures 45 ohms.

Now I'm thinking it's the thermostat. Is this likely? Are there any
other possible culprits? Can the thermostat be replaced without
changing out the entire element?

Thanks,

Steve

(please reply in the newsgroup as this email address is dead).

Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house

Steve,

In my limited experience the burners are run by "control switches" which
contain thermostats. Cost $25-50. But first unplug, open up and look for
disconnections or burnt wires.
There are lots of on-line parts places but it is usually no more costly
to look in your phone book.

Dave M.

Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house
mm mm is offline

On 15 Apr 2007 14:07:47 -0700, "Steve" wrote:

This is a Kitchenaid flat (glass) top electric range, model KESH307...

The left front burner, which is actually a dual burner, has stopped
working - it turns on but puts out very little heat. At first I

The middle element or the outer one?

suspected a faulty element, but I removed the glass and the element
looks fine.

I have a friend with cancer. He looks fine too.

The outer element measures 37 ohms and the inner one
measures 45 ohms.

I don't know what a good one would show. Generally anthing that is
not zero or infinite is likely to be good.

Now I'm thinking it's the thermostat. Is this likely?

I think the thermostat would be fully on or fully off.

Are there any
other possible culprits?

Yes, the socket into which the element plugs, in most electric stoves.
I don't know about yours in particular. But you must have unplugged
it from something in order to look at it and measure it.

Mine worked some of the time for years before it got bad enough that I
replaced it. If I jiggled it, it would good for a few months at a
time. It was a one element burner and never put out the wrong amount
of heat, but either the right amount or none.

Can the thermostat be replaced without
changing out the entire element?

Thanks,

Steve

(please reply in the newsgroup as this email address is dead).

Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house

Had the same problem on a glass-top Kitchenaid and it went away when I
replaced the switch for that burner.

Vin - Automotive Recall lists, Technical Service Bulletins (TSB) and
Crash Test Videos at http://AutoSmash.com

On Apr 15, 9:01 pm, mm wrote:
[...]

(please reply in the newsgroup as this email address is dead).- Hide quoted text -