DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Quiet window air conditioner? (https://www.diybanter.com/home-ownership/197102-quiet-window-air-conditioner.html)

Slorik April 5th 07 03:00 AM

Quiet window air conditioner?

With the warm weather approaching I'm planning on buying a new A/C unit for
my bedroom. The last one I had wasn't that old, but it was loud as hell. My
room is about 10x12, so I don't need anything that will freeze a dining hall
(about 5,000 - 6,000 BTUs).

Do any air conditioners have a quiet or whisper mode (my air purifier has
this and it's great)?

Thanks.

Mark K April 5th 07 05:12 AM

On Wed, 4 Apr 2007 22:00:17 -0400, "Slorik" wrote:

With the warm weather approaching I'm planning on buying a new A/C unit for
my bedroom. The last one I had wasn't that old, but it was loud as hell. My
room is about 10x12, so I don't need anything that will freeze a dining hall
(about 5,000 - 6,000 BTUs).

Do any air conditioners have a quiet or whisper mode (my air purifier has
this and it's great)?

I bought a Frigidaire 6000 BTU unit from Lowes last summer, and it is
very quiet, very cool and it used less electricity than I expected. I
found that model listed on Consumer Reports. It wasn't the top-rated
window a/c, but it was close to the top, and rated as a "Best Buy"
because of what you get for the price. Remote control, sleep timer,
light enough for one person to install it. It was a good purchase, and
I look forward to my second summer with it.

Mark