DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Water heating making whistling noise? (https://www.diybanter.com/home-ownership/192481-water-heating-making-whistling-noise.html)

[email protected] February 16th 07 06:19 PM

Water heating making whistling noise?

My water heater in my rental apt is making a very faint
whistling noise?

Advice on what it is?

Speedy Jim February 16th 07 07:19 PM

wrote:
My water heater in my rental apt is making a very faint
whistling noise?

Advice on what it is?

Try to narrow the source down. Put ear by burner
opening. Could be normal sound of gas in pilot.

Could be a very small water leak too. If the leak is
in the central flue of the tank, you won't see any
water as it will be carried up the flue. But a leak
in the tank can mean impending failure.

Jim

[email protected] February 19th 07 01:59 AM

On Feb 16, 12:19 pm, Speedy Jim wrote:
wrote:
My water heater in my rental apt is making a very faint
whistling noise?

Advice on what it is?

Try to narrow the source down. Put ear by burner
opening. Could be normal sound of gas in pilot.

Could be a very small water leak too. If the leak is
in the central flue of the tank, you won't see any
water as it will be carried up the flue. But a leak
in the tank can mean impending failure.

Jim

Also, check the temperature/pressure relief valve. It might be
leaking for a variety of reasons.

Turn the heater off. Does the sound continue? That might help
diagnose it.