DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Cracked Slab Questions (https://www.diybanter.com/home-ownership/186315-cracked-slab-questions.html)

[email protected] December 19th 06 03:01 AM

Cracked Slab Questions

Hello, my house is 5 years old in Florida. I just pulled up some of
the carpet as I plan on starting to lay about 500 ft of tile starting
in the morning. In doing so I found a crack. I am wondering if it is
something I need to worry about or not. It is about wide enough to
slip the edge of a penny into but there is no elevation difference. I
can not tell if it is moving crack or if it has been inactive for a
while.

Should I fill the crack with some sort of epoxy or thinset? Or should
I just tile over it and assume it is not a problem? Thanks.

[email protected] December 20th 06 04:21 PM

Cracked Slab Questions

wrote:
Hello, my house is 5 years old in Florida. I just pulled up some of
the carpet as I plan on starting to lay about 500 ft of tile starting
in the morning. In doing so I found a crack. I am wondering if it is
something I need to worry about or not. It is about wide enough to
slip the edge of a penny into but there is no elevation difference. I
can not tell if it is moving crack or if it has been inactive for a
while.

Should I fill the crack with some sort of epoxy or thinset? Or should
I just tile over it and assume it is not a problem? Thanks.

Impossible to say without inspecting it or knowing more. For example,
we don;t know if the floor is level of one side is tilted. But if
it's not out of level and there is no sign of other problems, like
cracking wall or doors that won;t close, etc, it's probably not
serious. Concrete of all types is well known for cracking.

I wouldn't use thinset or similar to fill it though. Use a caulk type
product. There are even ones specifically for concrete cracks, usually
avail in either the caulk section or concrete section of the home
center stores. They are flexible, so it won't just crack again.

DAC December 22nd 06 02:03 PM

Cracked Slab Questions

you might want to consider using an upcoupling membrane like
http://www.schluter.com/english/products/2002/sectionf/overview-f/section-f.html

good luck

DAC