DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Ceiling in garage too low for installling garage door opener (https://www.diybanter.com/home-ownership/183837-ceiling-garage-too-low-installling-garage-door-opener.html)

[email protected] November 25th 06 06:38 PM

Ceiling in garage too low for installling garage door opener

What can you do if the garage ceiling is too low for the garage door
opener?

[email protected] November 25th 06 07:38 PM

Ceiling in garage too low for installling garage door opener

Move ?

I saw one once that was rigged to the ceiling in back of the garage
door.

[email protected] November 25th 06 08:05 PM

Ceiling in garage too low for installling garage door opener

how is it too low?

Bert Hyman November 25th 06 08:13 PM

Ceiling in garage too low for installling garage door opener

In ups.com
wrote:

What can you do if the garage ceiling is too low for the garage door
opener?

I assume you mean there's not enough clearance between the door and the
ceiling for the mechanism when the door is open. I had that problem
where I once lived and simply lived with it 'til I moved.

On the other hand, I never actually had a "professional" garage door guy
look at it and offer alternatives.

--
Bert Hyman St. Paul, MN

DT November 26th 06 01:57 PM

Ceiling in garage too low for installling garage door opener

In article . com,
says...

What can you do if the garage ceiling is too low for the garage door
opener?

You have several options. If your door uses standard tracks, you can replace
them with tight radius tracks. This will lower the height of the upper track.
Use an opener like a Genie Pro, which only requires about 3 inches over the
highest part of the door travel.

Or, you can buy a wall-mount gargage door opener like this one at Wayne Dalton:

http://www.wayne-dalton.com/DirectDrive.asp

--
Dennis

[email protected] November 26th 06 02:06 PM

Ceiling in garage too low for installling garage door opener

DT wrote:
In article . com,
says...

What can you do if the garage ceiling is too low for the garage door
opener?

You have several options. If your door uses standard tracks, you can replace
them with tight radius tracks. This will lower the height of the upper track.
Use an opener like a Genie Pro, which only requires about 3 inches over the
highest part of the door travel.

Or, you can buy a wall-mount gargage door opener like this one at Wayne Dalton:

http://www.wayne-dalton.com/DirectDrive.asp

--
Dennis

I just saw these used in high-end new construction. Very small
compared to traditonal ones. Don;t know about cost or reliability,
but it does sound like it could be a good solution for low cleareance
applications.

Harry K November 26th 06 03:46 PM

wrote:
What can you do if the garage ceiling is too low for the garage door
opener?

My ceiling is not quite 7 ft clearance. They managed to put in an
overhead with no problems.

Push comes to shove, and if you have a two car garage, you can put in a
slider. That is what I had for many a year.

Harry K