Home Ownership (misc.consumers.house)

Posted to misc.consumers.house

Default fluorescent lights wiring

I"m trying to wire two dual 40w fluorescent light fixture in parallel
in a signal circuit and without success. Each fixture has two 40w tubes
and an electrical ballast. If I wire each one separatly then it'll
work. I gather the reason might be interference between the two
ballasts but I want to hear some expert opinon.

Posted to misc.consumers.house

On 16 Oct 2006 21:43:04 -0700, edgekaos wrote:
I"m trying to wire two dual 40w fluorescent light fixture in parallel
in a signal circuit and without success. Each fixture has two 40w tubes
and an electrical ballast. If I wire each one separatly then it'll
work. I gather the reason might be interference between the two
ballasts but I want to hear some expert opinon.

Odd.

What do you mean "without success" ?

So each ballast has a black wire and a white wire, and you hook the two
blacks together with the black supply, and the two whites together with
the white supply and one or both fixtures does not light? Or they
flicker?

Did you make certain to wire the ground securely?

Are both fixtures the same brand and style of ballast? If not, you
might risk reversing the leads from one of them, but really it should
not matter.

sdb

sdbuse1 on mailhost bigfoot.com
Posted to misc.consumers.house
z z is offline

edgekaos wrote:
I"m trying to wire two dual 40w fluorescent light fixture in parallel
in a signal circuit and without success. Each fixture has two 40w tubes
and an electrical ballast. If I wire each one separatly then it'll
work. I gather the reason might be interference between the two
ballasts but I want to hear some expert opinon.

Shouldn't be any interference... After all, technically all the
fluorescent lamps in your house are in parallel. Heck, all the
fluorescent lamps in your part of town are technically in parallel
across the local transformer.

Posted to misc.consumers.house

SDB brings u p an interesting point. I was repairing a fixture in a hallway
with two identical circline fluorescent fixtures wired in parallel.
Couldn't get it to work. I reversed the black and white wire and it works
fine. Anyone know why?
mm

"sylvan butler" wrote in message
rnal...
[...]

Posted to misc.consumers.house
TKM TKM is offline

Fluorescent lighting circuits, especially if equipped with the older
magnetic ballasts, are designed such that there isn't much room for wiring
errors, dirty lamps, low line voltage, poor connections or low temperatures.
What happens is that the ballasts can't supply enough voltage to start the
lamps under less than design conditions.

What isn't usually understood is that the metal of the lighting fixture is
part of the starting circuit. On such systems (known as rapid start
circuits), the lamp must be within a half inch or so of a piece of grounded
metal of certain minimum dimensions. It's called a "ground plane".
Usually, the metal of the lighting fixture handles the requirement; but if
the fixture isn't grounded or if the black and white wires feeding the
ballast are reversed somewhere in the circuit, the starting system doesn't
work as intended, the gas inside the lamp doesn't ionize and so the lamp
stays dark.

You can sometimes test to see if this is the problem simply by touching the
lamp. If it starts, the lamp is either dirty or there is a problem with the
starting circuit.

TKM