DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Replacing tile grout and caulk in shower stall (https://www.diybanter.com/home-ownership/178043-replacing-tile-grout-caulk-shower-stall.html)

Walter Cohen October 3rd 06 01:13 PM

Replacing tile grout and caulk in shower stall

If I'm an average do-it-yourselfer can anyone tell me how difficult it would
be to regrout the tiles in a small bathroom shower stall. The stall
measures 3' x 3' by about 7' tall. So two walls of tiles/grout, plus the
floor and ceiling tiles.
I was given a quote of $450 which I think is way too much.

Thanks,
Walter

jeffc October 3rd 06 01:40 PM

"Walter Cohen" wrote in message
If I'm an average do-it-yourselfer can anyone tell me how difficult it
would be to regrout the tiles in a small bathroom shower stall. The stall
measures 3' x 3' by about 7' tall. So two walls of tiles/grout, plus the
floor and ceiling tiles.
I was given a quote of $450 which I think is way too much.

It's easy, but tedious. The ceiling will be no fun. Also, "cleaning" or
"sawing" the current grout with a grout saw won't be much fun either, but
not really that bad at the end of the day. Go take a look in a DIY tile
book at your local Home Depot, or the library, and you'll see how to do it.
Sometimes people give high quotes like $450 because they don't really feel
like doing the job, but for $450 they get over those feelings. It doesn't
mean it will excite them into doing a better job than you can do though.

Stubby October 3rd 06 01:48 PM

Replacing tile grout and caulk in shower stall

Walter, see answer in alt.home.repair.
No need to multi-post.

[email protected] October 3rd 06 09:18 PM

Replacing tile grout and caulk in shower stall

It's easy, but tedious. The ceiling will be no fun. Also, "cleaning" or
"sawing" the current grout with a grout saw won't be much fun either, but
not really that bad at the end of the day. Go take a look in a DIY tile
book at your local Home Depot, or the library, and you'll see how to do it.
Sometimes people give high quotes like $450 because they don't really feel
like doing the job, but for $450 they get over those feelings. It doesn't
mean it will excite them into doing a better job than you can do though.

I highly recommend using a grout cutting bit in a Dremel tool. Using a
grout saw would be home repair hell.

BRW