DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   electric photocell question (https://www.diybanter.com/home-ownership/177883-electric-photocell-question.html)

T.B. October 2nd 06 04:30 AM

electric photocell question

Hi:
I have installed some lights on the exterior of my garage and used them in
conjunction with a photocell switch i got from Home Depot. Basically it is
supposed to turn the lights off at dawn and vice versa at dusk. I installed
the thing and it hasn't turned the lights on or off once and it's been about
a week. So today I took it out and replaced it thinking it could be bad,
but now the one I finished installing earlier today isn't working either (I
tested it with a flashlight right over the eye) so what is the deal? I
doublechecked all of my wiring and it's exactly as the instructions say it
should be.

any and all advice and help appreciated much.
TB in Austin, TX

Doug Miller October 2nd 06 11:39 AM

In article , "T.B." wrote:
Hi:
I have installed some lights on the exterior of my garage and used them in
conjunction with a photocell switch i got from Home Depot. Basically it is
supposed to turn the lights off at dawn and vice versa at dusk. I installed
the thing and it hasn't turned the lights on or off once and it's been about
a week. So today I took it out and replaced it thinking it could be bad,
but now the one I finished installing earlier today isn't working either (I
tested it with a flashlight right over the eye) so what is the deal? I
doublechecked all of my wiring and it's exactly as the instructions say it
should be.

Did you remember to turn the circuit breaker back on after you finished the
wiring?

--
Regards,

GWB October 2nd 06 08:14 PM

electric photocell question

On Mon, 02 Oct 2006 10:39:09 GMT, (Doug Miller)
wrote:

In article , "T.B." wrote:
Hi:
I have installed some lights on the exterior of my garage and used them in
conjunction with a photocell switch i got from Home Depot. Basically it is
supposed to turn the lights off at dawn and vice versa at dusk. I installed
the thing and it hasn't turned the lights on or off once and it's been about
a week. So today I took it out and replaced it thinking it could be bad,
but now the one I finished installing earlier today isn't working either (I
tested it with a flashlight right over the eye) so what is the deal? I
doublechecked all of my wiring and it's exactly as the instructions say it
should be.

Did you remember to turn the circuit breaker back on after you finished the
wiring?

I bought a couple of those photo-electric sockets that you screw the
bulb into, for two outside entry lights. They work fine, but they
make 100W bulbs glow like 25W bulbs and they flicker, like candles.
I don't know why they do this, but I actually like the effect, so I
didn't try to rectify the situation.