DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Property value when home taken out of flood zone (https://www.diybanter.com/home-ownership/171458-property-value-when-home-taken-out-flood-zone.html)

nonbuyer August 4th 06 09:52 PM

Property value when home taken out of flood zone

I am considering buying a home that lies in a flood plain. Currently
their is a Army Corps of Engineers project that will build levees along
the length of the flood area that they say will remove the need for
flood insurance. An existing, levee sits on the property but it wasn't
enough to remove the flood danger. When they are completed, a similar
stronger levee will be in place.

What should I except will happen to the home values in this area? I
expect them to rise, but I really don't know if they would rise
significantly. Anyone else live in a neighborhood that has a similar
project completed in the past?

Thanks,
Jim

[email protected] August 5th 06 01:47 AM

Property value when home taken out of flood zone

Ask some one from New Orleans. I doubt the construction of a Levee will
remove you from the flood zone.
Arnie

nonbuyer August 7th 06 03:17 PM

Property value when home taken out of flood zone

New Orleans is a good case for buying flood insurnace even when not
required in certain areas. I will continue to buy the insurance, but
it will cost significantly less -- I figure at least $1000 per year
less. This has to have an impact on home values. Anyone have this
experience?

Thank you.

GWB August 7th 06 07:28 PM

wrote:
Ask some one from New Orleans. I doubt the construction of a Levee will
remove you from the flood zone.
Arnie

The less you need it, the cheaper it is.
I'd have to be on top of a big old hill before I would forgo flood
insurance.

Banty August 7th 06 08:03 PM

Property value when home taken out of flood zone

In article , GWB says...

wrote:
Ask some one from New Orleans. I doubt the construction of a Levee will
remove you from the flood zone.
Arnie

The less you need it, the cheaper it is.
I'd have to be on top of a big old hill before I would forgo flood
insurance.

*I'm* on the top of a big old hill.

I had a flood claim back in January 1996 due to extreme runoff conditions. Good
thing I had the low-risk flood insurance.

Banty