DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Combining Cold Air Returns (https://www.diybanter.com/home-ownership/171150-combining-cold-air-returns.html)

Chris Gulka August 1st 06 07:25 PM

Combining Cold Air Returns

I need some opinions on a home renovation issue I have.

We are renovating our kitchen and this involved removing a wall. When
I took down the wall I found not just 1 but 2 cold air returns running
from the second floor above to the basement below. My original idea
was to build a single column to contain the cold air return. Now that
I have discovered that there are actually 2, not 1 I am wondering if it
is OK to combine them into a single column. My idea is to build a
bulkhead to join them at the ceiling and then either have both of them
run into the same place on the floor, or to build a second bulkhead at
the floor to allow each to return to it's original location.

Any thoughts on the best approach?

Edwin Pawlowski August 2nd 06 12:18 AM

Combining Cold Air Returns

"Chris Gulka" wrote in message

Now that
I have discovered that there are actually 2, not 1 I am wondering if it
is OK to combine them into a single column. My idea is to build a
bulkhead to join them at the ceiling and then either have both of them
run into the same place on the floor, or to build a second bulkhead at
the floor to allow each to return to it's original location.

Any thoughts on the best approach?

It will work if the single is large enough to accommodate the air flow from
both.

jim August 2nd 06 02:38 AM

Combining Cold Air Returns

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:
Will absoulutly work just make sure as the previous reply stated the pipes can handle airflow