Home Ownership (misc.consumers.house)

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to misc.consumers.house

Default Power Outage: Electrical Outlet, GFI and Fuse Breaker

My wife was using the haridryer in our recently remodeled bathroom when
the lights, hair dryer and some outlets went off in that section of the
house. I checked the GFI outlet that the hair dryer was plugged into
and a GFI reset did nothing. I then went to check the breaker panel in
the basement and all were still in the "on" position. I found the
breaker that controls this area of the home and switched it "off", then
back "on" again. All that power was then restored.

Does this mean I have a bad breaker switch or is the GFI doing what it
supposed to do? I'm not sure if the GFI "breaks the connection but the
breaker panel switch stays on. Additionally, I'm not understanding why
the breaker was still on yet a reset of the GFI alone did not restore
the power. She continues to use the hair dryer daily in that bathroom
without further incident. Can anyone help me understand the issue, if
any?