Home Ownership (misc.consumers.house)

Old July 26th 06, 01:08 AM posted to misc.consumers.house

Default Burying a sump pump discharge hose

I recently bought in house in Northern Iowa and have a flexible black
hose as my sump pump discharge. All the neighbors have a buired
discharge. I was just wondering if anyone had any advice about how to
go about burying a discharge?

Old July 26th 06, 09:35 AM posted to misc.consumers.house

Clark W. Griswold, Jr. wrote:
wrote:

I recently bought in house in Northern Iowa and have a flexible black
hose as my sump pump discharge. All the neighbors have a buired
discharge. I was just wondering if anyone had any advice about how to
go about burying a discharge?

The flex hose is useful in that you can move the hose to water different parts
of the lawn. Its a minor annoyance to have to move it every couple of days to
avoid killing off the grass and to mow.

If you bury the hose, it needs to go below the frost line (or be sloped to drain
quickly) and will have to go someplace where a fixed discharge won't annoy the
neighbor or the city/county.

It's pretty rare for one to be below the frost line, because the water
has to go somewhere to discharge, and that is typically above ground.
Having a continuous pitch away from the house, starting from inside
where it exits the wall, is the normal practice.

Old July 30th 06, 07:59 PM posted to misc.consumers.house

In article . com, jim says...

Remember this hose is fairly soft and will crush if ground shifts
suggest you use the harder underground irragation hose more money but
much better hose for job depending how cold you get whether you need to
go down to frost line ,if no heavy rains durring winter put back into
sewer by use of valves, use abs in house. Good luck
wrote:

I have a non-perforated drainage pipe running my sump pump discharge downhill to
a drainage ditch in the back (woods). There is a PVC grate over the outlet to
prevent critters from making the return trip.

It's in a french drain that has a perforated pipe running alongside it, rocks,
gravel, cloth-covered, because, in this clay soil freeze-prone region, whenever
thou diggest, thou puttest drainage. It helped a wet area of my yard
tremendously.

Cheers,
Banty

Questions - Battery Back-up Sump Pump Keith Home Repair 20 January 28th 06 11:43 PM
Newbie Q: sump pump [email protected] Home Ownership 6 January 14th 06 08:09 PM
Sump Pump Help Needed [email protected] Home Repair 14 April 25th 05 05:09 PM
Broken Sump Pump? toller Home Repair 12 April 4th 05 03:04 PM
Details of install of new sump pit and pump Puddin' Man Home Repair 4 December 28th 03 09:17 PM