DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   protective coating for roof deck? (https://www.diybanter.com/home-ownership/168578-protective-coating-roof-deck.html)

fork July 8th 06 06:45 PM

protective coating for roof deck?

I have a good sized deck that also serves as aroof . The deck is
coated with some kind of polyurethane.I have a can the previous owner
left (can says 'Universal Protective Coathing: Plasto-Seal'. The
previous owner told me that you you roll it on and then cover with sand
to give it some grip.

The coating is not very durable - it was applied right when I bought
the house and 1.5 years later it's cracked and leaking. So I have a
few questions...

1. Are there specific products that are more durable than others?
(It's hot and sunny in the summer and lots of snow in the winter where
I live.)

2. Does the existing layer have to be removed somehow before I apply a
new layer? The existing layer has some minor, but visible buckling and
cracks.

3. Any tips for exactly how to apply the stuff? I'm guessing it's a
sticky mess.

4. Other suggestions? I'm not crazy about having to do this once a
year. And thought the coating is a light tan color, it gets too hot to
walk on when it's sunny.

Thanks in advice for your help!

MDT at Paragon Home Inspections, LLC July 8th 06 11:47 PM

protective coating for roof deck?

"1.5 years later it's cracked and leaking."

As in: "Leaking into the house"?

ameijers July 10th 06 12:53 AM

protective coating for roof deck?

"fork" wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

Can't see your roof from here, but I suspect you need help from a
professional roofer to diagnose the problem. There are deck-rated membrane
roofs, but they depend on a proper substrate and proper roof pitch to work
and last. Don't be real surprised if the roofing company recommends a
tearoff and replacement. When a roof need repainting that often to be
leakproof, it is likely on its last legs. It almost sound like just a
hot-mop roof they painted over with the plastic stuff.

aem sends...