Home Ownership (misc.consumers.house)

Posted to misc.consumers.house,alt.home.repair
Walter Cohen

Default Do driveway sealers really do anything?

I'm sure this has been debated before......

I have an aging asphalt (black top) driveway and I am thinking of coating it
with driveway sealer (whether by myself or hire someone to do it).
Does this really do anything for the driveway other than make it look
cosmetically more appealing and perhaps fill in any small/minor cracks? It
would seem that this would only be more cosmetic than anything else. The
need would arise maybe 2-3 years down the road to do it again, or have the
driveway repaved.
The brands/types I've seen appear to all be basically the same, lasting
anywhere from 2 to 5 years. Some have a sand mix supposedly helping the
dried surface be a bit more coarse an making the surface not as slipper on
rain/snow for tracktion. And why are they all called 'airport grade'?

Thoughts?
Thanks,
Wally

Posted to misc.consumers.house,alt.home.repair
Clark W. Griswold, Jr.

"Walter Cohen" wrote:

I have an aging asphalt (black top) driveway and I am thinking of coating it
with driveway sealer (whether by myself or hire someone to do it).
Does this really do anything for the driveway other than make it look
cosmetically more appealing and perhaps fill in any small/minor cracks? It
would seem that this would only be more cosmetic than anything else. The
need would arise maybe 2-3 years down the road to do it again, or have the
driveway repaved.

I suspect it depends on the climate where you live and the type of undersurface.
If the temps drop below freezing, then recoating the drive will keep water from
getting in the cracks and freezing, thus extending the life of the driveway
somewhat.

If you live in a warm climate, or the asphalt is laid over a porous surface,
then it probably won't do much. Most of the cracks I've seen appear to be due to
settling or movement of the undersurface. Sealing won't do anything about
those...
Posted to misc.consumers.house,alt.home.repair
Rich

Well you could always just let it go and if you are in a climate that has
freeze and thaw periods you can see if water seeps under and disturbs your
asphalt during these F&T periods. If it does you will know better next time
around that it is not just cosmetic.

"Walter Cohen" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to misc.consumers.house,alt.home.repair

My 400' driveway was put in (21 years ago in New England) with 12"
processed gravel and a fabric to keep the clay from not coming back up
and mixing with the gravel and I never sealed the driveway.It looks
horrible with cracks and the center being higher than where the wheels
go. There is an underground stream that has helped mess up the driveway
as well. When I put it in I knew to let it settle for a year before
paving but didnt. I would not do it differently. but instead will have
a new layer put on top some day.If I had a small driveway and wanted it
to last as long as possible in a northern state and my time was cheap I
would seal it.

Posted to misc.consumers.house,alt.home.repair
Edwin Pawlowski

"Walter Cohen" wrote in message
I'm sure this has been debated before......

I have an aging asphalt (black top) driveway and I am thinking of coating
it with driveway sealer (whether by myself or hire someone to do it).
Does this really do anything for the driveway other than make it look
cosmetically more appealing and perhaps fill in any small/minor cracks?

IMO, it is a waste aside from appearance. Cracks should be filled, but
other than that, I do nothing. My drive is 28 years old and I sealed it
about 20 years ago, never did it again. It is in better shape than others
that have been sealed on a regular basis. The difference was in the
original paving. Mine was a better job than the houses another builder put
up. I got lucky as I had nothing to do with it.

Posted to misc.consumers.house,alt.home.repair
HarryS

Transportation departments learned long ago that sealing the cracks in
asphalt pavements prolongs the life of the pavement.

Years ago they used solvent based asphalt materials to seal the cracks but
most have now switched to emulsified asphalt materials (the so-called water
based asphalt sealers). Some use hot-applied asphalt. The emulsified
asphalt isn't particularly better than solvent based but eliminates most of
the solvents that evaporate to the atmosphere. Some use crack sealers that
contain polymer modified asphalt to give the asphalt more elasticity to help
prevent the cracks from reforming. Sand or sawdust is cast over the freshly
place crack sealer to prevent tracking from foot or vehicle traffic.

Without a good, stable base and sufficient asphalt pavement thickness, no
amount of crack sealing is going to make up for the deficiency.

Harry

[...]

Posted to misc.consumers.house,alt.home.repair

with a failing base topcoating is just a waste of money...

Posted to misc.consumers.house,alt.home.repair
Banty

In article B0Fcg.958197$x96.218806@attbi_s72, HarryS says...

[...]

Of course that's all true.

As to periodic sealing, though, recall highway departments have the constraint
of needing to accomodate traffic nearly constantly whatever they do (aside from
a totally new road). So what they do or do not do may be quite different from
what a homeowner does or does not do with his driveway.

Banty

Posted to misc.consumers.house,alt.home.repair
Richard J Kinch

Walter Cohen writes:

I'm sure this has been debated before.

Yes, and the intelligent conclusion is that even if the coatings worked,
they are horrifically expensive per pound of material applied, compared to
new bulk asphalt. You're much better off saving your money and applying it
to new asphalt when that day comes. So-called "sealers" are an expensive
way to paint a few thousandths of an inch of asphalt on top of inches of
asphalt.

Now if you really, really like the look of a fresh paint job, then maybe it
is worth the money and/or back-breaking effort on that basis, but the
alleged durability claims would be a false economy, even if they weren't
dubious.

Take a look at what bulk asphalt typically costs your paving contractor:

http://www.dot.state.fl.us/Construct...t/fuel&bit.htm

Now compare that to what retailed sealers cost, which are mostly water and
clay and sand, and relatively little actual asphaltum.
Posted to misc.consumers.house,alt.home.repair
Richard J Kinch

Banty writes:

As to periodic sealing, though, recall highway departments have the
constraint of needing to accomodate traffic nearly constantly whatever
they do (aside from a totally new road). So what they do or do not do
may be quite different from what a homeowner does or does not do with
his driveway.

Traffic interruption is not a factor. They just know that benefits are
minimal to non-existent, and costs are significant.

Commercial parking lots are coated to keep them pretty, not make them last
longer. All those oil stains don't impress the customers well.

Posted to misc.consumers.house,alt.home.repair
Banty

In article , Richard J Kinch
says...

Banty writes:

As to periodic sealing, though, recall highway departments have the
constraint of needing to accomodate traffic nearly constantly whatever
they do (aside from a totally new road). So what they do or do not do
may be quite different from what a homeowner does or does not do with
his driveway.

Traffic interruption is not a factor. They just know that benefits are
minimal to non-existent, and costs are significant.

Commercial parking lots are coated to keep them pretty, not make them last
longer. All those oil stains don't impress the customers well.

You're not in the northeast, are you.

Banty

Posted to misc.consumers.house,alt.home.repair
Banty

In article , Richard J Kinch
says...

Walter Cohen writes:

[...]

OK, you have a materials comparison. Now, try hard - can you think of any
other factors? Like pavers and other heavy equipment being brought to the
scene? Compared to what a lot of homeowners are willing to do at the cost of an
old pair of sneakers and enduring some heavy, smelly work?

You seem to be on a campaign about this thing...

Banty

Posted to misc.consumers.house,alt.home.repair
mm

On Tue, 23 May 2006 07:23:39 -0400, "Walter Cohen"
wrote:

I'm sure this has been debated before......

I have an aging asphalt (black top) driveway and I am thinking of coating it
with driveway sealer (whether by myself or hire someone to do it).
Does this really do anything for the driveway other than make it look
cosmetically more appealing and perhaps fill in any small/minor cracks? It
would seem that this would only be more cosmetic than anything else. The
need would arise maybe 2-3 years down the road to do it again, or have the
driveway repaved.
The brands/types I've seen appear to all be basically the same, lasting
anywhere from 2 to 5 years. Some have a sand mix supposedly helping the
dried surface be a bit more coarse an making the surface not as slipper on
rain/snow for tracktion. And why are they all called 'airport grade'?

That means you won't need snow tires or chains, like the airplanes do.

Thoughts?
Thanks,
Wally

Posted to misc.consumers.house,alt.home.repair
Richard J Kinch

Banty writes:

Like pavers and other heavy equipment being brought to the
scene? Compared to what a lot of homeowners are willing to do at the
cost of an old pair of sneakers and enduring some heavy, smelly work?

A homeowner with a bucket and broom is going to cost many times more
than a paving crew, per pound of material applied. More evidence
against the economy of "sealers".

When I last had my driveway re-paved with hot mix, it cost me $60/ton.
That's 3 cents per pound, delivered, applied, and finished. Spending
your weekend breaking your back to buy, schlep, mix, pour, and spread a
few buckets of "sealer" is thus worth less than $10 on a unit weight
basis. That doesn't pay for the first retail bucket, much less your
aching back. The homeowner and his muscles are no match for dump trucks
and screeds. Don't waste your money on sealers.

You seem to be on a campaign about this thing.

I've been through it all, including dutifully putting on "sealer" in my
younger homeowning days, because good advice was impossible to find.
Now that we have the Internet, facts are readily available, and anyone
can learn from this engineer's experience and analysis.
Posted to misc.consumers.house,alt.home.repair

Had realtives cin naples florida that sealed driveway every other year.

Sun attacks asphalt down there sealed they las a lot longer

Same thing for phoenix

Posted to misc.consumers.house,alt.home.repair
ameijers

wrote in message
oups.com...
Had realtives cin naples florida that sealed driveway every other year.

Sun attacks asphalt down there sealed they las a lot longer

Same thing for phoenix

Fresh coat of sealer also makes it easier for teenage boys to leave long
black stripes doing burnouts in their hot rods.

aem sends...

Posted to misc.consumers.house,alt.home.repair
Banty

In article , Mys Terry says...

On Wed, 24 May 2006 21:06:53 -0500, Richard J Kinch wrote:

Banty writes:

[...]

Kinch also leaves his house unpainted. It's more economical for him to wait
until the siding rots and then replace it.

Heh, good analogy.

He's a well known usenet kook. He has what is known as "Usenet Contrarian
Tourettes Syndrome". No matter what the subject, he is COMPELLED to take a
viewpoint that is opposite to everyone else and shout it loudly while flailing
his arms and telling the rest of the world how stupid they are to disagree with
him. Everything is a scam, a consiracy or a ripoff to Kinch. Everything.

BTW - On this particular subject of driveway sealers, Kinch thinks that everyone
lives in Florida as he does.

Good to know. I was a bit of a loss to explain the obvious to him, so I kinda
gave up. (Gee, I installed new door hardware - being not someone who does this
ever' day, I screwed up the first one, had to pull it out and re-install it,
took more time and a little agita. My use of time was more than if I called my
GC for a silly coupla door knobs, so it's not cost-effective huh? Yes, one
should count one's own labor in driveway sealing if you do it that way, but to
one's own value on time, not to what a paving machine brought on site can do!
He's whacked.)

Banty

Posted to misc.consumers.house,alt.home.repair
jtpr

"BTW - On this particular subject of driveway sealers, Kinch thinks
that everyone
lives in Florida as he does. "

....isn't that supposed to be "Everyone like him lives in Florida"?

-Jim

Posted to misc.consumers.house,alt.home.repair
Richard J Kinch

Banty writes:

Yes, one
should count one's own labor in driveway sealing if you do it that
way, but to one's own value on time, not to what a paving machine
brought on site can do! He's whacked.

One would assume that anonymous-pseudonymous-cowardly posters were the
whacky ones, not the guy with actual figures and analysis and the character
to back it up.
Posted to misc.consumers.house,alt.home.repair
Banty

In article , Richard J Kinch
says...

Banty writes:

Yes, one
should count one's own labor in driveway sealing if you do it that
way, but to one's own value on time, not to what a paving machine
brought on site can do! He's whacked.

One would assume that anonymous-pseudonymous-cowardly posters were the
whacky ones, not the guy with actual figures and analysis and the character
to back it up.

So! Do you actually have something to say regarding my point? Or, are you to
be off on another campaign, this time about Usenet monikers?

Banty

Posted to misc.consumers.house,alt.home.repair
Mark

Or top 1/2 your driveway and see how the up-topped side holds up compared to
the topped side! Do it every couple years and report back in 10 years so we
all know if we should keep topping or stop!

"Rich" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to misc.consumers.house,alt.home.repair
Richard J Kinch

Mys Terry writes:

Using a nickname in usenet is a long established tradition and has
nothing to do with someone's veracity.

Usenet is vile *because* of anonymity. For example, it allows *you* to
insult respectible people with impunity. This is the very essence of
cowardice, to harm without facing the fair consequences.

To this thread I contributed my technical opinion, written clearly, with
facts and analysis to back it up, based on decades of homeowning experience
with a solid engineering background. Some people make a constructive
debate out of such material. Your contribution: a traditional spewing of
banal insults while hiding behind a traditional (although untraditionally
faggy) pseudonym. What bizarre amusement.
Posted to misc.consumers.house,alt.home.repair
Banty

In article , Mark says...

Or top 1/2 your driveway and see how the up-topped side holds up compared to
the topped side! Do it every couple years and report back in 10 years so we
all know if we should keep topping or stop!

There you go - he should take an empirical approach, if he's to convince those
of us who actually want to maintain our properties, not just wait until things
break or go bad and replace things.

Banty

"Rich" wrote in message
[...]

Do driveway sealers really do anything? Walter Cohen Home Repair 23 May 26th 06 04:41 PM
Driveway drainage Mark UK diy 8 August 2nd 05 02:31 AM
help, concrete driveway rising up lucy Home Repair 6 November 16th 03 12:32 PM
driveway storm drain getting clogged with dirt Rachel Smith Home Repair 1 August 26th 03 10:14 AM
Beware of Driveway Sealers Ripoffs Randy Home Repair 58 August 21st 03 12:50 AM