Home Ownership (misc.consumers.house)

Posted to misc.consumers.house
reply w/o spam

Default Deck sealers?

I'm about to waterproof several small decks and some outdoor furniture.
Some decks are a couple of years old and in good shape; others were left
untreated for 10-20 years at least. Might all be cedar, or possibly some
PT. I'll be pressure-washing, then spray-coating.

Made the mistake of using a certain T-product last year. Cheap at
$12/gallon, but didn't waterproof well and left a waxy residue in spots.
Is a year is enough for this to have washed off/sunk in?

Products readily available here include Moore at about $25, Cabot at
about $30 and Penofin in three varieties between $32 and $40. Store
likes Penofin best. (I asked: what if I spend the same $, and buy more
of the cheaper stuff for a recoat? They still liked Penofin.) I don't
particularly want tinting, but would accept some if it works better.

Recent experience out there? The 2005 CR article is not very
informative. If Penofin is really that great, is there a big difference
between the three types? If it matters, this is central New England,
moderate sun exposure.

Thanks-

Ctenos
Posted to misc.consumers.house
Ray Mandeville

reply w/o spam wrote:
[...]

I live in Rhode Island. I have been using Penofin for at least 5 years
on my mahogany deck. For me it lasts for only approximately 18 months
before a reapplication seems necessary. This past weekend I decided to
re-oil the deck, went to the local store to get more Penofin but there
was none left. Went to Lowes to check if they had it (they don't carry
it). Lowes did have an Olympic product that was a penetrating oil
finish. That was $25/gallon vs the ~$40/gallon of the Penofin.

I decided to take a chance and got the Olympic oil finish (clear). To
me it seems like there is very little difference between the two in
terms of smell, wood absorbsion, and look and feel. With the Penofin,
it usually required 2 gallons, the Olympic took the same amount. So far
the deck looks no different than before. Time will tell, but so far I
am pleased.
Posted to misc.consumers.house
Travis Jordan

reply w/o spam" (reply w/o spam) wrote:
Recent experience out there? The 2005 CR article is not very
informative. If Penofin is really that great, is there a big
difference between the three types? If it matters, this is central
New England, moderate sun exposure.

I've been using Sikkens DEK products with great results for about 10
years now. The treated decks look beautiful; almost like teak furniture
if you use the right translucent stain. There is quite a bit of
preparation required and a 'maintenance coat' needs to be applied every
two or three years, but I think it is worth it for the appearance and to
extend the life of the decks. Their current product is labeled Cetol
DEK Finish. Be prepared to pay about $55 a gallon.

http://www.nam.sikkens.com/product-c..._category=deck