DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Problems with Plaster, Lathing, Bathroom Cabinet (https://www.diybanter.com/home-ownership/150943-problems-plaster-lathing-bathroom-cabinet.html)

ddd March 27th 06 06:25 PM

Problems with Plaster, Lathing, Bathroom Cabinet

Trying to install a medium-heavy bathroom cabinet in an old house.

Walls are old plaster and lathing.

In the inside of the cabinet there is a board about 1/2 inch thick at the
top. I have to get through that
then the plaster and lathing. Trouble is I screwed up and have a 5/16 inch
hole through the little board
in the cabinet and same in the wall and lathing trying to install those dry
wall anchor which did not seem to work.

Now how do I get the thing secured to the wall?

Thanks.

Speedy Jim March 27th 06 06:39 PM

ddd wrote:

Trying to install a medium-heavy bathroom cabinet in an old house.

Walls are old plaster and lathing.

In the inside of the cabinet there is a board about 1/2 inch thick at the
top. I have to get through that
then the plaster and lathing. Trouble is I screwed up and have a 5/16 inch
hole through the little board
in the cabinet and same in the wall and lathing trying to install those dry
wall anchor which did not seem to work.

Now how do I get the thing secured to the wall?

Thanks.

Forget the anchors. Medium-heavy needs to be
screwed right to the studs. If the cabinet is 16"
or more wide, you can find at least one stud to screw it to.

If you don't have a stud finder (may not work well anyway
with lath), use a coathanger to probe inside the wall thru
the hole you made.

Jim