DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   need your input re highway fumes near housing (https://www.diybanter.com/home-ownership/142416-need-your-input-re-highway-fumes-near-housing.html)

anna January 29th 06 07:01 AM

need your input re highway fumes near housing

Hi,

My sister is buying a home, in Northern California, which is approx
1,300 feet from a busy highway in Northern California. The sound is not
an issue, my concern is the fumes and it's impact on health, especially
because she has small children.

In between this house and the freeway there are a few homes and small
trees. There is no sound wall along the freeway.

Can someone please let me know as soon as possible if she should be
concerned about any negative impact on health, etc. regarding this.

Thank you for your help.

Anna

ameijers January 29th 06 10:21 AM

need your input re highway fumes near housing

"anna" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi,

My sister is buying a home, in Northern California, which is approx
1,300 feet from a busy highway in Northern California. The sound is not
an issue, my concern is the fumes and it's impact on health, especially
because she has small children.

In between this house and the freeway there are a few homes and small
trees. There is no sound wall along the freeway.

Can someone please let me know as soon as possible if she should be
concerned about any negative impact on health, etc. regarding this.

Thank you for your help.

Probably less than folks in a big city apartment on a lower floor, right
above stop'n'go traffic idling under the window. Yeah, there is some
increased pollution right around the right of way, as the Germans discovered
when they studied the trees near the Autobahn. But 1300 feet away, I doubt
it is significant, unless the highway is a gridlocked parking lot. I'd be
more worried about the water supply, if she has a well. The hydrocarbon
runoff from a highway can affect the groundwater, especially if there is a
wreck and a spill. The normal water check done when buying a house usually
only checks for e.coli and such.

aem sends...

[email protected] January 29th 06 03:41 PM

need your input re highway fumes near housing

I live half that distance from a very busy highway and don't notice
anything at all. Traffic noise is a bitch though !

v January 30th 06 10:32 PM

On 28 Jan 2006 23:01:03 -0800, someone wrote:

My sister is buying a home, in Northern California, which is approx
1,300 feet from a busy highway

That's about a quarter mile. Should be far enough, but if it is of
any concern to you whatsoever, then DON'T BUY THE HOUSE.

Oh wait - it's not you that's buying the house anyway.

If she has any concerns, let HER post. Otherwise you are just being a
busybody. But if you want to, tell her not to buy the house, for the
safety of her children.

Harry K January 31st 06 02:57 AM

anna wrote:
Hi,

My sister is buying a home, in Northern California, which is approx
1,300 feet from a busy highway in Northern California. The sound is not
an issue, my concern is the fumes and it's impact on health, especially
because she has small children.

In between this house and the freeway there are a few homes and small
trees. There is no sound wall along the freeway.

Can someone please let me know as soon as possible if she should be
concerned about any negative impact on health, etc. regarding this.

Thank you for your help.

Anna

I bet if you look around you can find a lot of other things that are
closer to be paranoid about.

Harry K

EXT February 2nd 06 05:21 PM

need your input re highway fumes near housing

Did you check for electric power transmission lines, underground natural gas
transmission pipelines, earthquake faults, local industries and zoning
regulations -- it goes on and on.

Most problems with pollutants will depend on prevailing winds and
elevations.

"Harry K" wrote in message
ups.com...