DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Need advice on monitoring humidity in crawl space under house (https://www.diybanter.com/home-ownership/139051-need-advice-monitoring-humidity-crawl-space-under-house.html)

[email protected] January 7th 06 07:44 PM

Need advice on monitoring humidity in crawl space under house

I need to monitor the humidity in the crawl space under my house.
Radio Shack has a unit that you mount inside your house and then place
a remote sensor in the crawl space. Has anyone had experience with
this unit? Can anyone recommend a better uni?. I like the idea of
being able to monitor the humidity inside my house without having to
go into the crawl space.

Todd H. January 7th 06 09:28 PM

writes:

I need to monitor the humidity in the crawl space under my house.
Radio Shack has a unit that you mount inside your house and then place
a remote sensor in the crawl space. Has anyone had experience with
this unit? Can anyone recommend a better uni?. I like the idea of
being able to monitor the humidity inside my house without having to
go into the crawl space.

Humidity detection isn't rocket science, so I'd suspect the RS thingee
will work just fine.

With this measurement/monitoring ability though.. I'm curious, what
action would too low or too high a humidity reading move you to take?

--
Todd H.
http://www.toddh.net/

Todd H. January 7th 06 11:35 PM

writes:
Todd wrote:
With this measurement/monitoring ability though.. I'm curious, what
action would too low or too high a humidity reading move you to take?

If too high, dehumidify.

In the crawl space? Are you storing things in it? No vapor barrier
above it?

I guess I'm curious what concern there is that would warrant spending
the energy to dehumidfy it.

I'm not criticizing your choice, mind you. Just curious what the
worry might be as I to have a crawl space and don't worry about it.

Best Regards,
--
Todd H.
http://www.toddh.net/

G Mulcaster January 8th 06 12:47 AM

On Sat, 07 Jan 2006 19:44:39 GMT, wrote:

I need to monitor the humidity in the crawl space under my house.
Radio Shack has a unit that you mount inside your house and then place
a remote sensor in the crawl space. Has anyone had experience with
this unit? Can anyone recommend a better uni?. I like the idea of
being able to monitor the humidity inside my house without having to
go into the crawl space.

This does not answer your question specifically; however, here is what
I do.

Despite a plastic vapor barrier over my dirt crawl space floor,
humidity is a problem. I use a dehumidifier unit which plugs into a
dehumidistat. The dehumidistat is set for 58%. The unit cycles on
and off all year 'round. I also use a humidity indicator in the
crawlspace to ensure things are working properly.

Your remote sensor idea sounds good :)

Gary
Please remove XXX in email address if email reply is desired.

[email protected] January 8th 06 02:59 AM

Need advice on monitoring humidity in crawl space under house

If the humidity is too high, mold will grow. There is already some
signs of it. The vapor barrier, properly installed should drastically
reduce the amount of moisture and hopefully reduce the relative
humidity below 55% and keep mold from growing. If the vapor barrier
alone does not do the job, then a dehumidifier is needed. You just
don't want mold growing in the crawl space for health reasons.

[email protected] January 8th 06 03:01 AM

Need advice on monitoring humidity in crawl space under house

I would be interested in knowing the kind of dehumidifier you are
using. Also, what instrument do you use to monitor the humidity
level? Thank you for your reply.

DT January 8th 06 03:06 PM

Need advice on monitoring humidity in crawl space under house

In article ,
says...

I need to monitor the humidity in the crawl space under my house.
Radio Shack has a unit that you mount inside your house and then place
a remote sensor in the crawl space. Has anyone had experience with
this unit?

I have had the Radio Shack system for several years and they work great. I
initially set the inside and outside units together, along with a separate
humidity meter I have to compare them. They all read within a few percent of
each other.

Dennis

G Mulcaster January 9th 06 12:20 AM

On Sun, 08 Jan 2006 03:01:15 GMT, wrote:

I would be interested in knowing the kind of dehumidifier you are
using. Also, what instrument do you use to monitor the humidity
level? Thank you for your reply.

I use a 20+ years old Sears dehumidifier. It is rated at 15 quarts
per day. I'm thinking of replacing it - a modern dehumidifer should
be more efficient.

The humidity instrument is an analog "no name" brand purchased at
Wall Mart about $10.00. It has a temp readout as well.